• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set buffer size on mac?
Hi, I am using a focusrite 2i2 3rd gen interface on macos 10.15. And the latency is high (20ms). 

Is there a way to set the buffer size on the mac? I don’t see the option. On my windows machine, I see the ASIO settings button where I can change the sample rate and buffer size, but it is not shown in jamkazam on the mac.  I can change the sample rate in focusrite control app, but not the buffer size
Also in 2i4 1st gen. I wonder how this could be done. Would be great for better latency.
(04-05-2020, 02:14 PM)leemurray Wrote: Hi, I am using a focusrite 2i2 3rd gen interface on macos 10.15. And the latency is high (20ms). 

Is there a way to set the buffer size on the mac? I don’t see the option. On my windows machine, I see the ASIO settings button where I can change the sample rate and buffer size, but it is not shown in jamkazam on the mac.  I can change the sample rate in focusrite control app, but not the buffer size

I have been trying to figure this out as well.  I think it is up to the manufacturer's software, but not sure.  I'm using RME and I don't see anything in their settings.  If anyone knows please share!
I have also been having problems getting my latency value in JamKazam down to a lower level. It is currently in the yellow, showing a value of 10.3 ms. So I am trying to get it to turn green for better performance.

I am using a MacOS 10.13.6 with a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 3rd generation. Once you have the Scarlet set up, you will have one of the bundled DAW programs loaded as part of the setup process. I am using Ableton Live 10 Lite. Once you have downloaded and enabled the Focusrite Control driver, you make changes to the Scarlet's buffer and sample rate settings through the Ableton program, in the Settings tab. There is no other way to do this as far as I can tell.

I have been playing with the buffer settings in Ableton Live, which supposedly changes the settings in the Scarlet. But when I make changes to the buffer settings, JamKazam does not reflect those changes. Anybody have any suggestions for how to make JamKazam synch with the Scarlet?
(04-20-2020, 05:22 PM)BigStu Wrote: I have also been having problems getting my latency value in JamKazam down to a lower level. It is currently in the yellow, showing a value of 10.3 ms. So I am trying to get it to turn green for better performance.

I am using a MacOS 10.13.6 with a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 3rd generation. Once you have the Scarlet set up, you will have one of the bundled DAW programs loaded as part of the setup process. I am using Ableton Live 10 Lite. Once you have downloaded and enabled the Focusrite Control driver, you make changes to the Scarlet's buffer and sample rate settings through the Ableton program, in the Settings tab. There is no other way to do this as far as I can tell.

I have been playing with the buffer settings in Ableton Live, which supposedly changes the settings in the Scarlet. But when I make changes to the buffer settings, JamKazam does not reflect those changes. Anybody have any suggestions for how to make JamKazam synch with the Scarlet?

Pretty sure any changes made to buffer in other software (such as Ableton) will only be applied while that software is in use.  Same with ProTools, Logic, Garage Band, etc.
One option may be to run your hardware through Logic/Ableton/Whatever you have to get the asio settings right, and route them over to JamKazam with something like Soundflower/Loopback/Blackhole. I'm just speculating here, I don't have a mac, but I do something similar on my PC with Reaper and ReaRoute to get my ASIO settings right in ASIO4ALL.
I just was searching the Focusrite website support area, and found this article:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/a...ces-on-Mac
In it, you will find a link to a driver you can install to lower latency. I just installed it, and my latency went from 10.4ms down to 7.8ms, which puts me in the green zone on JamKazam. Not sure if this will help enough if your latency is up around 20ms, but it's worth a try.
Also, I am using Ableton Live 10 Lite, and I have lowered my buffer size setting to 64 samples to help speed things up.
Hope this all helps.
Thanks, BigStu! This is a great find for Focusrite Mac users who are not using the Scarlett 1st generation interfaces. I've added a note and a link to this post on the list of audio interfaces.
Kevin
Thanks BigStu!  It won't help my end, but two guys in my band use this interface, so ultimately it will help.  I'm realizing that getting this to work well is about many small adjustments.  Every time we do a test session we figure something out that inches us closer to success.  Right now it looks like our biggest issue is that one of the guys has an interface latency of close to 30.  He is about to upgrade.  The other big issue is jitter.  Not sure why there is so much on the interface side when I have top quality gear (including high-end wordclock).  It will be zero, but then jumps to 40ms+!  This is happening for everyone and those timing drops are killing the session.  It must have something to do with the computer / software end.
Mac users can change there frame size in JK. Go to Manage (at the top left corner in the app) - Audio Setting - Audio Booster then change your frame size to 1ms experimental.