• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M1 + Big Sur + Full-Screen video = crash
Has anybody else experienced and solved JK cra$ng on an M1+Big Sur Mac when switching video to full screen? Mine crashed consistently. I'm using a Mini. This is a new behavior on my system since one of the recent updates. I had been using JK full screen for sessions mid January without incident. 

Looking forward to hearing whether this is a known bug or something that's already been solved. 

—Richard
(02-12-2021, 03:50 AM)richard@tempestadimare.org Wrote: Has anybody else experienced and solved JK cra$ng on an M1+Big Sur Mac when switching video to full screen? Mine crashed consistently. I'm using a Mini. This is a new behavior on my system since one of the recent updates. I had been using JK full screen for sessions mid January without incident. 

Looking forward to hearing whether this is a known bug or something that's already been solved. 

—Richard

I am running a new macbook with the latest Big Sur and when I resize the video by grabbing the corners JK will crash. When I click the "green +" to go to fullscreen it will do so but I cannot get back to the JK interface no matter what I click. The video takes up the whole screen with no apparent way to close or reduce the fullscreen video. This is a very frustrating issue as we lose sessions when my side crashes or I simply have to shut down the mac to get out of being stuck on fullscreen.
>>>
There already has been a lot of discussion around JamKazam and using video. Also on this forum.
I think(?) I've also seen posts regarding JamKazam on M1 in general (edit: (not) also video related - it appears it was, not detecting cams ...) possibly not being a happy marriage.(?!)

Maybe - for now - if you know FS-video is going to crash your session, don't go FS?

In the mean time, did you file a support request? (it could be already in the works) edit: and apparently it is.

NB - Big Sur itself does not seem to be the 'problem' here. Just testing. Running 11.2.2 on my Intel MBP I can go JKz & FS vid without issues.
(02-28-2021, 01:26 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: Thanks for the reply, Dimitri. The FS crash is intermittent. Everything seems to be a moving target these days! Cheers. 

>>>
There already has been a lot of discussion around JamKazam and using video. Also on this forum.
I think(?) I've also seen posts regarding JamKazam on M1 in general (edit: (not) also video related - it appears it was, not detecting cams ...) possibly not being a happy marriage.(?!)

Maybe - for now - if you know FS-video is going to crash your session, don't go FS?

In the mean time, did you file a support request? (it could be already in the works) edit: and apparently it is.

NB - Big Sur itself does not seem to be the 'problem' here. Just testing. Running 11.2.2 on my Intel MBP I can go JKz & FS vid without issues.
Lightbulb 
(02-12-2021, 03:50 AM)richard@tempestadimare.org Wrote: Has anybody else experienced and solved JK cra$ng on an M1+Big Sur Mac when switching video to full screen? Mine crashed consistently. I'm using a Mini. This is a new behavior on my system since one of the recent updates. I had been using JK full screen for sessions mid January without incident. 

—Richard

Thanks for this post.  I also am using a Mac Mini late 2014 with Mojave 10.14.6.  In full screen mode, my screen would go to black when I click on the metronome or play an audio file (backing track).  Music would continue to play and JK did not seem to crash, but the screen was completely black except for the small box controlling metronome/audio file.  I could not find anyway to resolve it without a force quit of the application.  I also run this on my Widows 10 and do not have similar problem.

I tried this without going full screen, per one of the other comments, and it worked fine.  I could also expand the screen size by dragging the edge without the problem occurring.  I can live with that for now.  Now I can move forward with getting this up and working with my granddaughter.
(02-28-2021, 01:26 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: Not going full screen isn't a great option, just to add. I am trying to play chamber music with colleagues and students. It's hard enough to get nonverbal cues when my partner is an image on a screen. It's harder still when that image is tiny.

>>>

(03-01-2021, 07:17 PM)richard@tempestadimare.org Wrote: Not going full screen isn't a great option, just to add. I am trying to play chamber music with colleagues and students. It's hard enough to get nonverbal cues when my partner is an image on a screen. It's harder still when that image is tiny.

As a chamber music enthusiast who's heard of you and your colleagues, I'm sympathetic to that struggle. My peers and I have learned to get by without seeing each other at all, even in fairly challenging repertoire. If we can do it, I'm sure you can too!
We've absolutely done some trio work with the video off. But our last project was one where we had good cameras and good audio recording running parallel to our Jamkazam. Seeing each other is critical.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but now that JK is a pay-for product, why would anybody advise me to dumb-down the way I use the platform? It's supposed to run video, it's supposed do a lot of other things without cra$ng too, it's supposed to offer support to members at a certain level. None of those things work. Since I'm paying for it, I feel entitled to expect to receive what I signed on for. Not workarounds.
(02-28-2021, 01:10 PM)Try hitting Command-Control-F.  Let me know if that works.  Good luck. Wrote:

—Richard

I am running a new macbook with the latest Big Sur and when I resize the video by grabbing the corners JK will crash. When I click the "green +" to go to fullscreen it will do so but I cannot get back to the JK interface no matter what I click. The video takes up the whole screen with no apparent way to close or reduce the fullscreen video. This is a very frustrating issue as we lose sessions when my side crashes or I simply have to shut down the mac to get out of being stuck on fullscreen.