• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching to P2P does not seem to take.
Had a session on Wed Feb 3. All updated to the Feb 2 release. Several members reported hearing crackling. Everyone running at 256kbps. All members have run successfully with their respective audio interface settings over the past few weeks. Even so, we each tried larger frame sizes but it had no effect.

I saw that everyone had a network path of ARS. We each changed our individual preference to P2P but all popups still showed ARS. We all resynced but same thing. The noise did clear up after about 15 minutes (15 wasted session minutes).
I'm not clear on the specific steps you took, so forgive me if I'm stating what you already know (perhaps others reading this will not know). You have to be out of a session to make changes to your Network Settings. Also, since the ARS is relatively new, I've been selecting "Prefer lowest latency path" though I'm almost always online with the same person, most likely always in peer to peer mode.
(02-05-2021, 10:04 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: I'm not clear on the specific steps you took, so forgive me if I'm stating what you already know (perhaps others reading this will not know). You have to be out of a session to make changes to your Network Settings. Also, since the ARS is relatively new, I've been selecting "Prefer lowest latency path" though I'm almost always online with the same person, most likely always in peer to peer mode.
Specific steps? We each changed our network path preference to P2P.

I was not aware you need to be out of a session to make changes to network path. I don't recall seeing instructions to that effect. The option should not be available when in session if it cannot be applied (or it should indicate that one must leave then re-enter to have it take effect).

We will try again when 'out of session' and see if we can then all enter a session as P2P.
(02-05-2021, 10:04 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: I'm not clear on the specific steps you took, so forgive me if I'm stating what you already know (perhaps others reading this will not know). You have to be out of a session to make changes to your Network Settings. Also, since the ARS is relatively new, I've been selecting "Prefer lowest latency path" though I'm almost always online with the same person, most likely always in peer to peer mode.

>>>
Even with 'Prefer Peer-to-Peer Path' selected before starting a new session, even when restarting both clients after making this setting;

Two machines (different accounts) on the same LAN still show 'ARS' under [Net Path]

It appears that 'true' p2p is no longer an option in JamKazam, which IMHO would be a shame. (working very successfully before with just 'local' band members here)
(02-06-2021, 11:05 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:

>>>
Even with 'Prefer Peer-to-Peer Path' selected before starting a new session, even when restarting both clients after making this setting;

Two machines (different accounts) on the same LAN still show 'ARS' under [Net Path]

It appears that 'true' p2p is no longer an option in JamKazam, which IMHO would be a shame. (working very successfully before with just 'local' band members here)

[SammerJammer]
I confirm. Changing the preferred network path before entering a session still results in the JK reporting ARS. It's unclear if just the JK popup is wrong and it always says ARS or if stated preference has no effect. In any case it is not 100%.

I confirm. Changing the preferred network path before entering a session still results in the JK reporting ARS. It's unclear if just the JK popup is wrong and it always says ARS or if stated preference has no effect. In any case it is not 100%.
>>>
So, I just checked JKz network activity and found that, next to a fair few servers on the interwebs, JamKazam also establishes a p2p connection between my two test machines. After a while most of the connections are dropped. Only two external addresses remain on the JamKazam.exe proces. Plus the two p2p connected machines.

Maybe I'll do the same without 'Prefer Peer-to-Peer Path' and see if this changes anything. (No time atm)

NB - actually a third connection to the JKz proces just popped back up and was dropped again. Seemingly there is some sort of ARS negotiation going on 'in the background'.
Just completed my regular Monday session. 2 people, one Windows, one Mac, both got the update today. Default network settings for both players. The connection was P2P, and no hiccups.

in my Network Settings menu right now, the only selectable option is "prefer Peer-toPeer path". The selected option, which is greyed out, is "prefer lowest latency path" (I assume this is the default).

It would be interesting to see how a session that spans more distance and includes more players is setup. In either case, the defaults seem to work just fine.
We have 3 people in our session, 2 local (New Mexico), 1 in California. We've always had slight latency issues with the Cali player, but last week the session was untenable. All 3 of us showed 'ARS', even after changing to "Prefer Peer to Peer', resynching, etc. Latency numbers did not seem unusually higher, but we couldn't even get 2 of us to synch up, finally just bagged it. Another session scheduled for tomorrow... we'll see.

This could be any number of things, just felt odd that as soon as that 'ARS' thing started showing up we ran into this problem...
(02-09-2021, 03:58 PM)jazzerone Wrote: We have 3 people in our session, 2 local (New Mexico), 1 in California. We've always had slight latency issues with the Cali player, but last week the session was untenable. All 3 of us showed 'ARS', even after changing to "Prefer Peer to Peer', resynching, etc. Latency numbers did not seem unusually higher, but we couldn't even get 2 of us to synch up, finally just bagged it. Another session scheduled for tomorrow... we'll see.

This could be any number of things, just felt odd that as soon as that 'ARS' thing started showing up we ran into this problem...

>>>
Apparently 'the ARS thing' was just a glitch (display only) and is fixed in yesterdays update.
I hope you're right. The unsettling thing was that we were getting a yellow dot when hovering over that particular setting, and the message in the little box said something like "This is not the lowest latency route available" which, of course, made us go "Well, why not and why isn't the system selecting the lowest latency route and what can we do about it?" Since it's all about the latency with JK it's unsettling when the app itself tells you you're not using the lowest latency setting with no options to fix it. It's like having your computer tell you "Somethin isn't working right" but not telling you what...