• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panning and Volume
My friend and I both have Focusrite 6i6 interfaces, and JamKazam works well for us.  We are able to pan our personal mixes (voice a bit left, guitar right) with no problems.  However, when panning the Audio Input controls, my changes are heard by my friend, but when he changes his pans, they don't affect what I hear.  Volume changes work fine (I hear his, he hears mine), but PANNING does not.  This behavior is not affected by changing which jammer starts the session.  The only real difference between setups is that he's on a Mac and I'm on Windows.  My suspicion in that the Mac version has a bug.  Any ideas?
Are you leaving anything out in your write-up? you say "However, when panning the Audio Input controls,"

Question, exactly where are you making the changes?

Why I ask is because, based my own experience and testing with others, ALL controls whether it be from the Session volume/panning for each track, or the powermixer, affect your own mix only. Others will not hear them. Every user is responsible for controlling their own mix.

The only time others can hear my volume and pan changes is if I make the changes directly on my Audio Interface, and providing I have Stereo Tracks configured in the JK Audio Device settings

Have said this, i personally have not tested with the session Mixer which allows one person in the session to adjust the mix.
(01-26-2021, 04:03 PM)kempjef Wrote: As I said, I am using the Audio Input controls on the main session screen.  These controls definitely DO affect what others hear, since they are input-level controls.  My question is:  Why do my panning controls on the Audio Input controls affect what my friend hears, but not vice versa.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'd like to ask, for my clarification:

a) When you change your pan setting, your friend hears the change, but you don't?
b) When your friend changes his pan setting, he hears the change, but you don't?

Please forgive me if you've already checked this, but are you certain you have muted the direct input monitoring of your interface?
(01-26-2021, 06:42 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: I'd like to ask, for my clarification:

a) When you change your pan setting, your friend hears the change, but you don't?
b) When your friend changes his pan setting, he hears the change, but you don't?

Please forgive me if you've already checked this, but are you certain you have muted the direct input monitoring of your interface?

a) Changes made in the audio inputs section are only heard by other jammers.  So, yes, my friend(s) hear the changes, including panning changes, but I do not.  That is as expected.
b) My friend doesn't hear the pan changes.  That is expected.  I also do not hear them.  That is the problem.

And, yes, direct monitoring is muted!
thanks for that clarification.

I tested this out on my 2 systems in a private test session. Both are Mac; one older, one new. In each case, changes that I made to my audio inputs had no effect in my ears, but changes made in my personal mix were immediately audible.

I am available between 15:00 PST and 16:00 PST today if you want to have a troubleshooting session

Bruce McIntosh
(01-26-2021, 10:00 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: thanks for that clarification.

I tested this out on my 2 systems in a private test session. Both are Mac; one older, one new. In each case, changes that I made to my audio inputs had no effect in my ears, but changes made in my personal mix were immediately audible.

I am available between 15:00 PST and 16:00 PST today if you want to have a troubleshooting session

Bruce McIntosh
That's not the issue.  The issue is whether your fellow jammers are affected.  My initial posting clearly describes the issue, I believe.  

I'm not in need of a troubleshooting session.  Both my friend and I have been using Jamkazam since last April, so we're pretty well versed in the subtleties.  I'm looking for a different pair of individuals (or more) to test the issue as I described it.  It has to do with what your PARTNER hears when YOU pan YOUR Audio Inputs, NOT your personal mix.  This has nothing to do with the Personal Mix behavior.
Ok I recommend you submit a trouble ticket with JK support
I'm surprised more people aren't chasing this problem. It's as if we're all accepting mono feeds from our fellow jammers when the potential for stereo exists! The difference, when using headphones, is significant, especially over an hours-long jamming session, where listener-fatigue gets to be an issue. An adjustable sound stage makes a ton of difference.
(01-26-2021, 03:23 PM)GDJ Wrote: Are you leaving anything out in your write-up? you say "However, when panning the Audio Input controls,"

Question, exactly where are you making the changes?

Why I ask is because, based my own experience and testing with others, ALL controls whether it be from the Session volume/panning for each track, or the powermixer, affect your own mix only. Others will not hear them. Every user is responsible for controlling their own mix.

The only time others can hear my volume and pan changes is if I make the changes directly on my Audio Interface, and providing I have Stereo Tracks configured in the JK Audio Device settings

Have said this, i personally have not tested with the session Mixer which allows one person in the session to adjust the mix.

This is Patrick, one of Jeff's fellow Jammers.  When you say 'providing I have Stereo Tracks configured in the JK Audio Device settings',  where in JK I ask this because when in JK, if I go to My Profile I see a choice of 'Audio Gear'.  If I go to the Manage Menu at top right (I'm on Windows 10), I have a 'Audio Settings' choice, and in the session I have the gear icon with 'Audio Settings' which if I select takes me to the same settings window that you get from my Profile\Audio Gear.   Just want to clarify there isn't some other window with title of "Audio Device"  In the Audio Gear is states that 'if you assign only 1 port to a track, the app will automatically duplicate this port into a stereo track'  Given I have set to only go to one track, it should be a stereo track, but no matter how I pan, the other do not hear the change.  Only Jeff's can pan his Audio Inputs and myself and the other Jammer can hear it.  This seems to be a bug.