• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JamKazam doesn't receive signal from any of my inputs
Hello!

I've been trying to set up JamKazam for a couple of days, but I cannot get the input signal to come through. I have tried my Line6 Helix as input and, my Mac's own microphone and webcam's microphone. JamKazam can detect all of them, but when I start session, I don't see any signal coming through. I had a test session with my friend and I was able to hear him. Together with him we tried several options, but nothing worked.

One software I'm using on my computer is Loopback (https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/). I'm wondering if that could mess up my system. The inputs that I've tried work with GarageBand, Skype, etc. I've also tried the Loopback virtual device, but even that doesn't work.

What could be the problem?

Pasi
You could have a software conflict, so firstly I recommend make a test recording with your Helix as your input, using Garageband, and no other software running (perhaps you have already tried this?). If that doesn't work, then you need to troublehoot your setup with the Helix.

The built-in mic, and the webcam mic, can be used for testing, but you don't want to use them in a session - the latency will probably be too high, and you will have to monitor using the headphone jack.

If it does work, then move on to using Jamkazam client, and no other software running. You should be able to create a test session and hear yourself playing; you should also be able to make a recording.

In my setup, I use an interface with it's own mixer. When I'm in Jamkazam, I mute all of my inputs' "monitor out" using the miser, so that Jamkazam is the only source of sound that I can hear. Basically you want JK to be in the driver's seat
Recommend you review the existing thread "DAW into JamKazam?". It contains good information using aggregate setup similar to what you are trying to acheive. Don't forget about Mac basics and check your privacy settings in case you are not allowing something to passthru to the JK app. And, if you decide to config your router ports, i would suggest undo them until you figure out how to get the basic setup working first. All too often people make too many changes at once and it becomes more complicated when trying to solve a problem. It's much easier to walk back your settings, one step at a time.

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.ph...hlight=DAW
(01-24-2021, 05:50 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: You could have a software conflict, so firstly I recommend make a test recording with your Helix as your input, using Garageband, and no other software running (perhaps you have already tried this?). If that doesn't work, then you need to troublehoot your setup with the Helix.

The built-in mic, and the webcam mic, can be used for testing, but you don't want to use them in a session - the latency will probably be too high, and you will have to monitor using the headphone jack.

If it does work, then move on to using Jamkazam client, and no other software running. You should be able to create a test session and hear yourself playing; you should also be able to make a recording.

In my setup, I use an interface with it's own mixer. When I'm in Jamkazam, I mute all of my inputs' "monitor out" using the miser, so that Jamkazam is the only source of sound that I can hear. Basically you want JK to be in the driver's seat

Hello Zlartibartfast,

I've done many recordings with GarageBand using Helix. You say that you mute all inputs using mixer. Are you talking about JamKazam Power Mixer (Manage/Audio Settings/Pro-Audio Mixer)? Even in mixer I don't see any input coming.
I only tried using the microphones as inputs to see if I can get any input.

(01-24-2021, 06:07 PM)GDJ Wrote: Recommend you review the existing thread "DAW into JamKazam?". It contains good information using aggregate setup similar to what you are trying to acheive. Don't forget about Mac basics and check your privacy settings in case you are not allowing something to passthru to the JK app. And, if you decide to config your router ports, i would suggest undo them until you figure out how to get the basic setup working first. All too often people make too many changes at once and it becomes more complicated when trying to solve a problem. It's much easier to walk back your settings, one step at a time.

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.ph...hlight=DAW
Thanks,

That may help, even though I don't need to use Loopback as source to JamKazam. I could use Helix directly + webcam for chat. Loopback I've used successfully in online guitar lessons I'm taking through Skype. There I don't have any problems. I just wonder, if Loopback has some driver that takes over even though the sw is not running. I've sent a support request also to them. Let's see.

Pasi
HI Pasi -

I mean I have a mixer app that is included with my interface, and in order to hear Jamkazam correctly, I must mute the monitor(s) for each input I am using. This is called "dis-abling direct monitoring".

I rarely need to use the Jamkazam Power Mixer. Most of the time the in-session mixer is all I need.

Since we know that your Helix does work, then we can move on to troubleshooting the software. We don't need to be concerned with the Mac internal settings either, since Garageband works. That does not mean that ALL of the software settings are correct, so you should review that thread that GDJ linked to.

I suggest you delete the Jamkazam audio profile(s) you have now, and start fresh, with no extra software running. If you run into a snag, post here again and give detailed info about your software (Mac version, Helix driver version, JK client version, etc).
The problem is that JamKazam never asked me for access to the microphone. I did the following to get the question:

Open Terminal
Launch JamKazam with /Applications/JamKazam.app/Contents/MacOS/JamKazam
Start a session

Then I got the question and now JamKazam hears me. The sound is still very distorted, but that must have something to do with my settings.
check your sample rates for everything. if you have a mismatch (ex: 44.1khz in Audio MIDI setup vs 48khz in Jamkazam) you will get distortion.