• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 ms latency problem
Hi,

I have a latency problem, maybe you could help?

Here's below some specs and the JamKazam report.

Windows 7(64 bits)
Proc.: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
RAM : 4,00 Go
Uplink bandwitch : 10Mbps (JK required 1Mbps)

JamKazam Audio Configuration Review Report :
1.Poor Audio Latency: Audio input/output latency is 15 ms. Tuning or changing your audio device could reduce latency less than 5 ms.
2.Excellent Audio Frame size: Your audio frame size is 2.5 ms.
3.Excellent Audio Driver: ASIO.
4.Excellent Input Sample Rate: Your audio input-output sample rate is 48000 (or multiple).
5.Excellent: Wired Network(RG45 15ft Ethernet cable).
6.Excellent Packet Rate: Your default packet rate is 400 pkt/s.

External Sound Card : Tascam US-600;
Session Audio Inputs(Live Tracks) : US-600 - ASIO;
Session Audio Outputs(Requires 2 Ports) : US-600 analog L/R - ASIO(same as Inputs).

I am a drummer using an electonic drumkit, with 1 microphone(XLR - ch 3) via an 4 channels analog mixer :
Electronic drumkit module to analog mixer via 2-TRS(ch. 1-2, panned L/R);
Analog mixer to my external sound card via 2 others TRS;
External sound card to my computer via a 6ft USB 2.0 cable.

So what may cause the 15 ms latency? I read that ASIO bypass the internal sound card, so why my external sound card is the problem? Even if the ASIO driver in/from it is excellent(as JK report saying)?

Thank you.

Nogi57
Hi Nogi57,
I have the similar Tascam US-800 interface, and even with the Tascam driver set to the lowest latency (Config/Latency, set to 192; the default is the HIGHEST latency setting of 576, which must be reset it each time I boot my Windows machine), I see about the same 15ms round-trip latency measure in JK from that interface. The bottom line: It's an older interface with high internal latency. You will likely have to consider an interface upgrade. Even some of the new inexpensive 2x2 USB interfaces yield lower latencies than the Tascam, and JamKazam does allow storing of multiple audio configurations in the application depending on which interface is plugged into your computer (although sometimes this causes problems). Everything else in the settings you have supplied looks right, and about the same as me.
Hope this helps,
Bruce
(01-12-2021, 02:42 PM)Nogi57 Wrote: Hi,

Windows 7(64 bits)

1.Poor Audio Latency: Audio input/output latency is 15 ms. Tuning or changing your audio device could reduce latency less than 5 ms.
4.Excellent Input Sample Rate: Your audio input-output sample rate is 48000 (or multiple).

Session Audio Outputs(Requires 2 Ports) : US-600 analog L/R - ASIO(same as Inputs).

I am a drummer using an electonic drumkit, with 1 microphone(XLR - ch 3) via an 4 channels analog mixer :

So what may cause the 15 ms latency? I read that ASIO bypass the internal sound card, so why my external sound card is the problem? Even if the ASIO driver in/from it is excellent(as JK report saying)?

Thank you.

Nogi57
Short answer - replace your outdated audio interface. The one you have has been discontinued and, more importantly, there aren't any current drivers for it.
Also, since you're using Windows, you'll need to run Latencymon and based on the results, tune your PCs to properly handle real-time audio. Remember, Windows, out of the box, is not designed to prioritize realtime audio.
blandis Wrote:Thanks for your response Bruce. Yeah, I have the same settings (lowest latency) as you. Sad 'cause works perfectly well to record home studio stuffs in my amateur way Smile .

I just downloaded Latencymon (as suggested in another answer) and getting this for report : "Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts". Seems that I gonna have to buy a new/another sound interface  Rolleyes ... guessing that it's gonna be the right solution.

StuartR Wrote:Thanks for the response StuartR. I just downloaded Latencymon (as suggested) and getting this for report : "Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts". Before changing computer brand Rolleyes , I'm gonna try/buy with a recent sound interface first at least.

Nogi57 Wrote:Hi,

Windows 7(64 bits)

Thank you.

Nogi57
Short answer - replace your outdated audio interface. The one you have has been discontinued and, more importantly, there aren't any current drivers for it.
Also, since you're using Windows, you'll need to run Latencymon and based on the results, tune your PCs to properly handle real-time audio. Remember, Windows, out of the box, is not designed to prioritize realtime audio.
(01-12-2021, 04:58 PM)Nogi57 Wrote:
blandis Wrote:Thanks for your response Bruce. Yeah, I have the same settings (lowest latency) as you. Sad 'cause works perfectly well to record home studio stuffs in my amateur way Smile .

I just downloaded Latencymon (as suggested in another answer) and getting this for report : "Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts". Seems that I gonna have to buy a new/another sound interface  Rolleyes ... guessing that it's gonna be the right solution.

StuartR Wrote:Thanks for the response StuartR. I just downloaded Latencymon (as suggested) and getting this for report : "Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts". Before changing computer brand Rolleyes , I'm gonna try/buy with a recent sound interface first at least.

Nogi57 Wrote:Hi,

Windows 7(64 bits)

Thank you.

Nogi57
One thing I neglected to mention is that you should let Latencymon run for at least 5 minutes unimpeded. Hopefully you did.
For what it's worth, I too think the Tascam is a great interface, other than the latency for JamKazam is higher than some of my other interfaces. I use it as my interface on my main recording PC, and it works great, even though it doesn't provide a zero-latency direct monitoring mix knob, which many interfaces provide to minimize the distraction of latency when recording vocals. I almost always mute the inputs in the system tray app, so that what I hear is only the computer processed audio, otherwise I hear myself twice, or I hear my unprocessed guitar along with my processed guitar.

I use 1 of 2 other interfaces with an old Windows laptop for JamKazam as well, both of which have lower latency than the Tascam. For some geeky fun I connected the 2 PCs together in JamKazam, connected to a GB network switch with 3ft cords, and the latencies were very low (approx <10ms, 8 of which was the Tascam). With a microphone in each computer's interface, singing into both mic's simultaneously resulted in flanging of the vocal, which is consistent with the time delays of flanging effects (approx 10ms). Very Robert Fripp of me!