• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thunderbolt 3 Interface Suggestions
Greetings...New to Jamkazam! Play Drums and have a Zoom R24 and Macbook Pro with 4 Thunderbolt 3 Ports Wondering if anyone can recommend a Low Latency Audio Interface and suggestions of how to set this up with my equipment! Not even sure I would need an Interface with the Zoom R 24 but would appreciate any and all help! Thnx in Advance! Z
(12-14-2020, 05:18 PM)Zeuloo Wrote: Greetings...New to Jamkazam! Play Drums and have a Zoom R24 and Macbook Pro with 4 Thunderbolt 3 Ports Wondering if anyone can recommend a Low Latency Audio Interface and suggestions of how to set this up with my equipment! Not even sure I would need an Interface with the Zoom R 24 but would appreciate any and all help! Thnx in Advance! Z
I think the Zoom R24 has a USB audio interface so nothing else should be needed assuming it's internal latency is decent. Plug it into your Mac USB port and got through the JK audio gear setup and see if it detects it and has acceptable latency.
(12-14-2020, 10:14 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 05:18 PM)Zeuloo Wrote: Greetings...New to Jamkazam! Play Drums and have a Zoom R24 and Macbook Pro with 4 Thunderbolt 3 Ports Wondering if anyone can recommend a Low Latency Audio Interface and suggestions of how to set this up with my equipment! Not even sure I would need an Interface with the Zoom R 24 but would appreciate any and all help! Thnx in Advance! Z
I think the Zoom R24 has a USB audio interface so nothing else should be needed assuming it's internal latency is decent. Plug it into your Mac USB port and got through the JK audio gear setup and see if it detects it and has acceptable latency.
Thnx for the info but have read numerous replies in other posts that the Zoom 24 will not work...Latency too high! Unfortunately think I might have to spring for one of those interfaces on the list provided by JK! Any other suggestions on a Good Audio Interface (Thunderbolt) would be appreciated! Thnx..
(12-15-2020, 03:32 PM)Zeuloo Wrote:
Thnx for the info but have read numerous replies in other posts that the Zoom 24 will not work...Latency too high! Unfortunately think I might have to spring for one of those interfaces on the list provided by JK! Any other suggestions on a Good Audio Interface (Thunderbolt) would be appreciated! Thnx..
Focusrite Clarett 4 or 8pre or
Resident Audio T2s and T4s have been found to work with JK. I think these are pricey though. If you have an available USB port try the Motu M2. It's affordable and you'll get decent latency for less money.
(12-15-2020, 04:32 PM)StuartR Wrote:
Resident Audio T2s and T4s have been found to work with JK. I think these are pricey though. If you have an available USB port try the Motu M2. It's affordable and you'll get decent latency for less money.
Thnx...Was looking into Focusrite Clarett 4! Do you know anything about Presonus Studio 1810C 18x8?? Seems less expensive then the Focusrite but not in JK List of compatible interfaces! Thnx in Advance
(12-15-2020, 09:50 PM)Zeuloo Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 04:32 PM)StuartR Wrote:
Thnx...Was looking into Focusrite Clarett 4! Do you know anything about Presonus Studio 1810C 18x8?? Seems less expensive then the Focusrite but not in JK List of compatible interfaces! Thnx in Advance
I don't, sorry.
If you worried about low latency then you should look at a Presonus Quantum. At 600 dollars it might be out of your budget, but when it comes to latency there is nothing better for Thunderbolt 3.
I can vouch for the Quantum 2626 audio interface.  I connect it to my Dell XPS 15 laptop with a thunderbolt 3 cable.  JamKazam gives me a latency score of 1.5 ms!  I've been using the Quantum for 3 months, jamming with 3 Ohio musicians.  By contrast, the Focusrite Scarlett (with USB cable) scores no better than 7.5 ms.  One quirk you should know - with the Quantum, I need to set the JamKazam frame size down to 1 ms.  For some reason, the "safer" settings (2 or 2.5 ms) garble my sound.  So I get a lot of jitter.  It's a problem, but I can live it.
Faster, it not always faster. I have a couple of old MOTU traveler interfaces running with a MacMini 2011. My interfaces support thunderbolt, usb, and firewire. I use USB because when comparing the difference, there is none. With my USB 2.0 connect, my audio device latency is 3.2.
I'm using a Presonus Studio 24c on a Mac Book Pro M1.
Device Latency is 8.3 ms, not that low but enough to play with two friends.