• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gear driver and latency (and frame size)
I'm sure this subject is dealt with in one way or another here there and everywhere, and I've looked but get confused, sorry :/

simply, trying to improve my audio profile I have found that....

driver wdm -> frame size 10 and latency 4
driver asio4all -> I can lower the frame size to 1 but the latency rises to 12 (if I leave the frame size at 10 the latency rises to 30 !)

I thought that asio is the way to go but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I suspect there must be another parameter I'm not manipulating..... help, ideas please, thanks in advance
(12-07-2020, 01:38 PM)Ian (France) Wrote: I'm sure this subject is dealt with in one way or another here there and everywhere, and I've looked but get confused, sorry :/

simply, trying to improve my audio profile I have found that....

driver wdm -> frame size 10 and latency 4
driver asio4all -> I can lower the frame size to 1 but the latency rises to 12 (if I leave the frame size at 10 the latency rises to 30 !)

I thought that asio is the way to go but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I suspect there must be another parameter I'm not manipulating..... help, ideas please, thanks in advance

>>>
Hi Ian, it is strongly recommended to use ASIO drivers dedicated to your audio device.

asio4all is merely a [generic audio driver/type of wrapper for the windows WDM driver] to accommodate devices that do not have dedicated asio, for situations you can not do without 'asio'. (e.g. Jamulus won't even start without it)

If you're not actually using an external audio interface/sound card, or there is no dedicated ASIO-driver available for your gear, asio4all could help. However, I've seen many situations in which the WDM driver way outperforms asio4all. Especially with onboard sound cards in laptops.
ok, thanks
I have an external behringer UMC204HD audio interface... so I need an ASIO driver dedicated to that? it is my audio device right?
I've found this on the Behringer site:
UMC Driver 4.59.0 (for Windows 7 to 10)
-------------------
I've installed that and it may have done the trick.....
(12-07-2020, 04:38 PM)Ian (France) Wrote: ok, thanks
I have an external behringer UMC204HD audio interface... so I need an ASIO driver dedicated to that? it is my audio device right?

and by the way, you wouldn't where I can access the sample rate do you? I keep getting messages from JK about that, I need to change from 41000 to 48000 I think?
The Jamkazam team has a pretty good knowledge base that has articles on setting up your specific audio interface. In the case of the Behringer interface, you want to be careful with the Frame Size value as it can cause misleading results according to JKs testing.

https://jamkazam.freshdesk.com/support/solutions
(12-07-2020, 04:38 PM)Ian (France) Wrote: ok, thanks
-------------------
I've installed that and it may have done the trick.....
>>>
Good man!
Enjoy!
thanks for the replies, I do believe I'm cookin' ! but I'll watch out for the frame size ;-)
... and I've seen in the knowledge base/setup help that with my behringer interface I may have latency stats which are misleading (as mentioned above)

just a remark relevant to starting up- it is tempting to go to the videos posted on youtube, which do help and are quicker than reading extensive text but they don't give all this kind of detail - a flag needs to be planted somewhere where it can't be missed indicating the importance of visiting the knowledge base, and early (or links), and to have a minimum of patience.... many thanks