• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clean Jk install?
Could anyone please tell me how to do a clean install of the JK client? As far as I know, a normall re-install of the client still leaves some files (configuration etc) from the previous installation but I wanted to try reinstalling everything from scratch.

My problem is that, although JK is working fine for sessions playing with my band, it is completely failing to upload any of my audio tracks to the server or to download any of my bandmates' tracks from the server. I have tried basic things like rebooting my router, reinstalling the app 'normally', etc, but to no avail. Another band member has got a near-identical setup to mine (MacBook, same ISP, same router/configuration) and their file upload/download is working faultlessly. After band sessions, I put all the individual tracks into a DAW and do mixes, which generally work out very well. However, at the moment, I have to get the band members to send me their tracks via Dropbox, because I am completely unable to get them via JK itself.

The next thing I was going to try is a complete clean reinstall of the JK client in case there is some configuration file somewhere that has got corrupted (or something similar). Any help on how to do this, or which files I need to delete to start afresh, would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve
(12-06-2020, 10:39 AM)SteveW Wrote: Could anyone please tell me how to do a clean install of the JK client? As far as I know, a normall re-install of the client still leaves some files (configuration etc) from the previous installation but I wanted to try reinstalling everything from scratch.

My problem is that, although JK is working fine for sessions playing with my band, it is completely failing to upload any of my audio tracks to the server or to download any of my bandmates' tracks from the server. I have tried basic things like rebooting my router, reinstalling the app 'normally', etc, but to no avail. Another band member has got a near-identical setup to mine (MacBook, same ISP, same router/configuration) and their file upload/download is working faultlessly. After band sessions, I put all the individual tracks into a DAW and do mixes, which generally work out very well. However, at the moment, I have to get the band members to send me their tracks via Dropbox, because I am completely unable to get them via JK itself.

The next thing I was going to try is a complete clean reinstall of the JK client in case there is some configuration file somewhere that has got corrupted (or something similar). Any help on how to do this, or which files I need to delete to start afresh, would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

>>>
Per the menu (left top corner) you can reset all JKz configuration data.
[Manage]->[Audio Settings]->[Cofiguration]-> 
The bottom three options 'Reset'

NB - you could use Finder and go to 'Computer'. Use the search for 'JamKazam' to find what is where.
Hi Dimitri

Thanks for that. I thought the reset option would only reset audio settings but my suspicion was that there was some kind of network setting that was messed up. Anyway, I'll give it it a try and, if that fails, I'll try searching for anything called JamKazam, as you suggest.

Thanks again
Steve
Steve, JK installs in several placed on the Mac. Including hidden directories. And, not everything is referred to by jamkazam. In your user LIbrary>Application Support, is pretty much where all the localized settings are. It will rebuild when relaunching the icon again requiring initial setup steps. Not knowing your expertise, I'm reluctant to post what I have simply because it puts the user in areas of their mac they should not going, and I hate to steer people in risky areas of the OS. Suffice it to say, one afternoon i spent about an an hour+ mapping out where all JK items installed to. I was surprised where some things ended up. But i never removed them, nor found a need to. Dimitri has a point that likely, in most cases it's good to just reconfig the audio device setup. That appears to address the more common issues. I do think if someone wants to know where all the parts are, they would know enough how to figure it out and not ask the question. And, it's something I think JK Support should take owner$p of, by providing the instructions or better yet. an uninstaller. Some developers do write easy AppleScript uninstallers . Don't know if JK has one.
Hi GDJ
Thanks for the reply. Earlier this week, as suggested by Dimitri, I tried removing the app and deleting the files that were in folders with "JamKazam" names (having first made copies of some of the. files in ~/Music/JamKazam/Recordings that I wanted to keep). I reinstalled and found that the old problem still persisted--namely that JamKazam consistently fails to upload tracks to or from the server. I wasn't aware that there were yet more JK files hidden away in the file system. Do you think any of them are likely to have any effect on the behaviour of the file manager and the upload/download of tracks?

In terms of actually playing music in sessions, the app is working fine and my band are meeting for regular sessions. It is just a pity that I am not getting copies of the resulting audio tracks owing to the failure of the file manager to upload/download them.

Thanks

Steve
(12-18-2020, 04:27 PM)SteveW Wrote: Hi GDJ
Thanks for the reply. Earlier this week, as suggested by Dimitri, I tried removing the app and deleting the files that were in folders with "JamKazam" names (having first made copies of some of the. files in ~/Music/JamKazam/Recordings that I wanted to keep). I reinstalled and found that the old problem still persisted--namely that JamKazam consistently fails to upload tracks to or from the server. I wasn't aware that there were yet more JK files hidden away in the file system. Do you think any of them are likely to have any effect on the behaviour of the file manager and the upload/download of tracks?

In terms of actually playing music in sessions, the app is working fine and my band are meeting for regular sessions. It is just a pity that I am not getting copies of the resulting audio tracks owing to the failure of the file manager to upload/download them.

Thanks

Steve
>>>
Steve, good to hear that playing wise JKz is playing nice ...

About the recording issues. I hear this a lot(!). I'm thinking this has nothing to do with your end of the deal.
All sorts of suggestions are made, like everyone stay online and/or leave the session 'open' so the files can DL/UL. Or that the 'session starter' would do the recording etc. None of these seem to remedy the problem for everyone. Let's hope for an update from JKz to fix this.

Personally I can't be bothered. I like the live playing, if I do need anything recorded there are other means.

D./
Hi, i agree the recorded tracks. It's been hit or miss with them. Last time I tried it was a month ago with 5 of us, and some tracks did not render or upload. I suspect it's another area they will address.
OK it sounds like the file manager problems may be inherent in the system. It is just strange that other band memebers don't suffer any similar problems--including one who has a near-identical setup to me (Mac client, same router, same ISP).

My band had a change of personnel just before the lockdown and have since been using JK to work on a new repertoire suited to the current band line-up. We make a lot of use of session recordings for practising between sessions, and just for listening to in order to learn the nuances of the material. So, for us, the recordings have been a very important part of JK's features and are something that I don't think are available in any competing products. So that feature is a key one in our decision to pay for gold member$p, when we are obliged to pay for JK. We always produce the recordings by imorting the individual instrument tracks into a DAW and doing our own mix after the sessions: the mixed streams produced by JK are never very satisfactory. For example, one band member sings, plays accordion and plays a midi bass driven from the accordion's bass keys. Those very different sounds are never very well balanced in the live mix but we can get very good results from mixing them as separate tracks in a DAW.

Thhanks again

Steve
You make a point, that with the upcoming paid plans JK developers hopefully will be ensuring the recording stuff is figured out. I 'think', i heard something along these lines that they are aware it's a problem area. My personal prediction is, less time will be spend on the current GUI, and that a new rewrite and redesign is on the horizon. Again, this is me talking. Face it, the current app while working, is pretty outdated. I'm glad however the priority is on infrastructure. I also wanted to mention about recording, I have an MOTU interface, 8 I/O. Initially i was down mixing everything into Channels 1 & 2, so it's one JK stereo track. But i've gone back to using all 8 inputs that translates into 4 JK stereo tracks. My next step is to try and record and see how things go with the separate tracks. I have a lot going on at times; stereo gtr, stereo vocal harmonizer, stereo roland gr-55 gtr synth, stereo SDRUM pedal. Got a good thing going, lol
Sounds like your set up is more complex even than my friend with accordion, bass synth and vox. If the developers are redesigning the user interface one plea would be to consider accessibility from the outset. One member of my band is blind and JK is one of the few apps that completely defeats his screen-reading software, so is very unfriendly for him to use. Do you know the best way of passing this request to the developers, please? [And sorry that this is now off the topic of the thread!]