• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal soundcard inactive with ASIO4ALL
I would like to use the internal soundcard of my laptop with ASIO4ALL. I installed ASIO4ALL on my laptop, JamKazam was not running when I installed ASIO4ALL.
Then I started JK and tried to setup the interternal soundcard of my laptop with ASIO4ALL as new gear. However "Test Results" shows "LATENCY Unknown" for the soundcard. When I open "ASIO SETTINGS" the soundcard is shown as "inactive", and I cannot activate either input or output in the ASIO settings (refer to attached screenshot). When I setup my internal soundcard with ASIO4ALL in my DAW and open the settings in that program the soundcard shows up as "active" right away, and setting up the soundcard as new gear in JK with the WDM driver works. So it looks like the issue is neither related to ASIO4ALL nor the soundcard.
Anybody any idea how to get the soundcard set up with ASIO4ALL in JK?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-03-2020, 11:51 AM)troublebass Wrote: I would like to use the internal soundcard of my laptop with ASIO4ALL. I installed ASIO4ALL on my laptop, JamKazam was not running when I installed ASIO4ALL.
Then I started JK and tried to setup the interternal soundcard of my laptop with ASIO4ALL as new gear. However "Test Results" shows "LATENCY Unknown" for the soundcard. When I open "ASIO SETTINGS" the soundcard is shown as "inactive", and I cannot activate either input or output in the ASIO settings (refer to attached screenshot). When I setup my internal soundcard with ASIO4ALL in my DAW and open the settings in that program the soundcard shows up as "active" right away, and setting up the soundcard as new gear in JK with the WDM driver works. So it looks like the issue is neither related to ASIO4ALL nor the soundcard.
Anybody any idea how to get the soundcard set up with ASIO4ALL in JK?

>>>
Just forget the "LATENCY Unknown" for now. Choose your correct device at the output side as well (not 'same as input').
Set the sample rate to 48k and the framesize to 2.5ms (for starters) and proceed the setup.

Now setup a quick start private (solo) session and take it from there. E.g. do you have a (return-) signal? What is your latency? Is the audio quality OK?

Mind you, the internal/onboard computer sound devices will (almost) always give you (much) more latency and (much) worse audio quality then just about any external audio interface/sound card.

Another mind you; with internal (e.g Realtek) hardware you might even be better of, latency wise, without asio4all and just use WDM
(12-03-2020, 02:03 PM)Dimitri Musken Wrote: >>>
Just forget the "LATENCY Unknown" for now. Choose your correct device at the output side as well (not 'same as input').
Set the sample rate to 48k and the framesize to 2.5ms (for starters) and proceed the setup.

Now setup a quick start private (solo) session and take it from there. E.g. do you have a (return-) signal? What is your latency? Is the audio quality OK?

Mind you, the internal/onboard computer sound devices will (almost) always give you (much) more latency and (much) worse audio quality then just about any external audio interface/sound card.

Another mind you; with internal (e.g Realtek) hardware you might even be better of, latency wise, without asio4all and just use WDM

Thx Dimitri, I followed your advice, ignored the messages and started a solo session, and you are right. The soundcard actually works, in contradiction to the ASIO panel telling me it's inactive, strange. And you are right, the latency of the internal audio interface is actually much lower with WDM rather than with ASIO4ALL, in contradiction to everybody saying "use ASIO". Lessons learnt.