• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LATENCY, mostly TOTAL LATENCY
Thanks Hans for the good information.  I run a MacBookPro with a Yeti USB mic - and I'm getting 9.8ms for the audio latency.
Do you know if getting a Behringer 404 you mentioned could improve this on a Mac - I understand Mac uses it's own Core Audio and does not have downloadable ASIO drivers.   Second question - a friend on JamKazam just added a Scarlet 2 port interface + ASIO drivers to his Windows computer, and his audio latency is recorded as 0  (zero)  - is this possible ?
For some months ago I used Scarlett 2i2 (2 gen).

JamKazam (in AUDIO GEAR, of course) could not measure the actual latency.

And the message was that a special test was needed to figure it out.

I never did that test. I was only using it for a day or two.

Anyhow, my gear latency was showed as 0 - zero. In sessions and so.

It was of course not true - and in some way or another it began to be showed as 7ms.

I am using Behringer 404, too. The latency is 4.2 at buffersize 8.

But that is in Windows 7 - and I am not at all sure how it will be in Mac.

I thought it actually would be better in Mac (long explanation), but now I have heard that it is actually not better in Mac.

Hm!
That is what I suspected - that there is something different in the way the Scarlet handles the JamKazam audio latency measuring.  Do you know the nuts and bolts of how that measurement is made  - do they actually pulse a signal to the speaker/headphone and listen to the pick up in the mic & time the delay - a sort of audio Ping  ?
I cant remember it excactly.

It was done with one or two regular instrument cable.

A kind of loop test, one could call it.

Well - it can only be done in one way, I think.

But I can not remember if it need to be done while in AUDIO GEAR.
JamKazam must be continually measuring the audio latency during a session, as it is continually changing during the session.  Do you know how the program performs that test - are they actually sending an audio ping to the headphones and listening in the mic for a return signal (maybe a digital packet & must be outside our normal hearing range)  ??  My question is to try to understand how accurate that audio latency measurement on JamKazam is.  (I would love to get mine lower. . . . . but maybe at 9.8msec I should be happy ?  )
The audio interface latency is constant.

No doubt about that.

And the measurement is accurate, as far as I know. In two decimals, even - I believe

The internet latency is of course pendling.

Dont confuse those two phenomens.

I would not be happy with 9.8ms.

That is not bad, but not good, either. Medium, yellow.

But I have tried it - for a year.

It was even worse: 13 ms.

At the time, I was basically playing with only one person about 60 miles from me. It was alright or FAIR - about 30ms total latency
Thanks Hans for all your comments - you are a great help to all who use this program.
I sing a cappella with 2 others - one is 50 mi away - our internet latency is 3 msec ( very good - both on the same fiber optic service provider)  and one 2000 miles away in Boston (I am in Western Canada) - total latency ~ 50msec (not great, but we are learning how to make it work).  Anything I can shave off my own audio latency would be a help.   
An interesting note about the MacBookPro - my audio latency with the Yeti USB mic is 9.8  yet with the built in mic is 8.0
I have just ordered a Behringer UMC404 and will let you know if that makes any difference.  I cannot find a clear answer from anyone, so I'll try it out and report back.
Thanks again for all you are doing.
This is great to be able to sing together again - we do it twice a week......
"our internet latency is 3 msec" !?

Amazing - I will change the text of the introductory post immediately.

From 4 to 3

AND - remove "maybe", no need for that now

Some people on the web is talking/writing about latency issues with USB microphones.

I know nothing special about it - but it is surely interesting.

I might investigate a little more about that

Thank you, too, JiminSalmonArm
(05-07-2020, 06:46 PM)JiminSalmonArm Wrote: Thanks Hans for the good information.  I run a MacBookPro with a Yeti USB mic - and I'm getting 9.8ms for the audio latency.
Do you know if getting a Behringer 404 you mentioned could improve this on a Mac - I understand Mac uses it's own Core Audio and does not have downloadable ASIO drivers.   Second question - a friend on JamKazam just added a Scarlet 2 port interface + ASIO drivers to his Windows computer, and his audio latency is recorded as 0  (zero)  - is this possible ?
Jim,
I run an older MacBook Air with the UMC 404HD On initial setup, latency will be around 10 with the core audio. Changing the frame size,( I think it was that setting name)to 1ms experimental and I get 7.4. I have been happy there.  I’ve made a few other tweaks, etc. And it’s been stable. 

I’m pretty sure the 202, and 204 would do about the same. The biggest advantage to the 404 is the number of inputs. With one mic you probably don’t need 4 inputs for JK?

Let me know if I can help.
Test the hearing of the delay or latency:
> https://soundcloud.com/user851807875/pub...tly-better

Two metronome clicks start at the same time. One of the clicks is gradually delayed compared to the other.

At the end after approx. 27 seconds, the delay is about 110 milliseconds.

Then it is all repeated, but this time in stereo with the two clicks in each channel.

At about 3 seconds after the clicks start, the delay is about 10 milliseconds - after which an average human should be able to hear the delay. Under the best circumstances - hm!