• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very slow App and cannot create or join session anymore
Hi,

we first tried JamKazam last week (version JamKazam-1.0.3903.msi). 
Everything worked fine, I could invite friends, create a session and we had a pretty good sound experience, except that I myself had audio drops/outages. But as I have been in WiFi known to be shaky, I installed a LAN cable afterwards.

This week we wanted to jam again, but even before the Software update to 1.0.3912 I had many problems:

1. after starting the app it takes a couple of minutes (!) until every bit of the UI elements are loaded. List of my friends and notificationes are loaded last.
  2. if I switch to "Create Session" and I press on any of these buttons:
    QUICK START PRIVATE
    QUICK START PUBLIC
    QUICK START FRIENDS
    nothing at all happens.
    Only pressing on Schedule Future has some effect, but if I come to the page, where I could select friends, they are not shown in the dialog.
    So in short: I cannot create any session anymore!
  3. if a friend of mine creates a session and sends me an invitation, it takes minutes, until the popup is show
    if I "join" the session, I am taken to the session page - but there nothing happens - I neither see my jamming friends, nor do I see my controls

I already tried completely uninstalling and re-installing JamKazam - any of the both versions, but nothing helps.
I also tried to remove antivirus tools, lowered my Windows firewall and removed browser plugins => no success.

Can the reason be in the servers ?
What can I do ?

Thanks a lot in adance for any help !!!
Martin
(11-11-2020, 01:31 PM)Martin Huber Wrote: Hi,

we first tried JamKazam last week (version JamKazam-1.0.3903.msi). 
Everything worked fine, I could invite friends, create a session and we had a pretty good sound experience, except that I myself had audio drops/outages. But as I have been in WiFi known to be shaky, I installed a LAN cable afterwards.

This week we wanted to jam again, but even before the Software update to 1.0.3912 I had many problems:

1. after starting the app it takes a couple of minutes (!) until every bit of the UI elements are loaded. List of my friends and notificationes are loaded last.
  2. if I switch to "Create Session" and I press on any of these buttons:
    QUICK START PRIVATE
    QUICK START PUBLIC
    QUICK START FRIENDS
    nothing at all happens.
    Only pressing on Schedule Future has some effect, but if I come to the page, where I could select friends, they are not shown in the dialog.
    So in short: I cannot create any session anymore!
  3. if a friend of mine creates a session and sends me an invitation, it takes minutes, until the popup is show
    if I "join" the session, I am taken to the session page - but there nothing happens - I neither see my jamming friends, nor do I see my controls

I already tried completely uninstalling and re-installing JamKazam - any of the both versions, but nothing helps.
I also tried to remove antivirus tools, lowered my Windows firewall and removed browser plugins => no success.

Can the reason be in the servers ?
What can I do ?

Thanks a lot in adance for any help !!!
Martin
Sounds like you have a really slow internet connection  Did you have a successful session after you installed the ethernet cable?  If not, I'd check that connection first.  Could be a bad port / cable, etc.  Check your internet Ping & Speeds up & down.
>>>
I've seen this happen when Windows (and thus JKz) could not (properly?) connect to the audio interface.
When under 'Sound' in Windows, the external sound card/audio interface was not listed as I/O device for playback and recording, JamKazam slowed to a halt and became unstable. This could be a driver/cable issue. Plugging in/out or restarting the AI seemed to remedy this. Could this be the issue in your case?
Thans for both answers !

Internet Connection speed cannot be the reason: I have  1 Gbit - fibre Internet and the speedtest also confirms that.

Maybe some routing issue - I will try to restart my Internet router and to maybe get a new IP or something like that.

The audio device could be a good hint!
I'll try to remove all my audio gear from JamKazam and also unplug / re-plug it into my computer.

Let's see, if one of these will help.
No, unfortunately, nothing helped:

* restarted the router => no success
* checked all the audio gear and even removed it from JamKazam, but it still is loading very, very slow.

Is there only one JamKazam - Server and everyone is connected to that one, or are there several and is it possible, that I am on a slow one?
UPDATE

It indeed seems to be a routing issue or something like that.

I now tried and connected to my company VPN, routing all traffic through the VPN.
And guess what?
Everything is pretty fast and everything works - I can create sessions, ...

Counterchecked, disconnected VPN => slow again .

I also tried a rightclick "Inspect" and "Reload" and could see in the network panel, that it could load a couple of resource pretty quickly, and then there are many requests that keep pending, over and over.
No idea, what this could be.
Do you have a firewall that maybe blocks me, if there are too many requests in parallel ? But does not block it, if I come from another IP ?

At least, this is a small success, even if it is not satisfying to have to use the VPN (I am in Germany, the VPN endpoint is in Switzerland).

So if you have another idea, what could be done, maybe on your server side - it would be great!
(11-12-2020, 02:20 PM)Martin Huber Wrote: UPDATE

It indeed seems to be a routing issue or something like that.

I now tried and connected to my company VPN, routing all traffic through the VPN.
And guess what?
Everything is pretty fast and everything works - I can create sessions, ...

Counterchecked, disconnected VPN => slow again .

I also tried a rightclick "Inspect" and "Reload"  and could see in the network panel, that it could load a couple of resource pretty quickly, and then there are many requests that keep pending, over and over.
No idea, what this could be.
Do you have a firewall that maybe blocks me, if there are too many requests in parallel ? But does not block it, if I come from another IP ?

At least, this is a small success, even if it is not satisfying to have to use the VPN (I am in Germany, the VPN endpoint is in Switzerland).

So if you have another idea, what could be done, maybe on your server side - it would be great!

>>>
Honestly, with the info you've provided, I assume the solution is going to be on your side and can only be resolved by you (review your network settings/routing/port forwards/QOS/etc.). In perspective, too many people can use the program/app/platform without these issues for them to be general/server sided.
Yes, I guess, you're right.

My impression is, that it is either my FritzBox - or maybe the DS Light tunnel for IPv6 to my ISP or something like that.
And that this is bypassed when using the VPN.

Isn't the JamKazam - server www.jamkazam.com reachable by IPv6 ? There only is an IPv4 DNS entry :-(
SOLVED

(Hopefuly).

I today called my ISP and asked them to switch me from DS Lite Tunnel to Full Dual Stack IPv4 / IPv6.
Such I have my own IPv4 address (not shared with anyone) - and now JamKazam is working again !
Let's hope, that this really is due to the Dual Stack, and not because just another route I now take with me actual IPs ...

We will see.

Thanks that far for your input and help!
(11-13-2020, 11:40 AM)Martin Huber Wrote: SOLVED

(Hopefuly).

I today called my ISP and asked them to switch me from DS Lite Tunnel to Full Dual Stack IPv4 /  IPv6.
Such I have my own IPv4 address (not shared with anyone) - and now JamKazam is working again !
Let's hope, that this really is due to the Dual Stack, and not because just another route I now take with me actual IPs ...

We will see.

Thanks that far for your input and help!

>>>
Cool! Thanks for reporting back.

Now, that would have been useful info to help you in the first place.
JKz (and a lot of other stuff) does not work over IPv6 and has major issues with DS-Lite tunnels. Public IPv4 needed!