• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamkazam is moving onto Paid Subscriptions. Donors and volunteers' thoughts?
(10-25-2020, 09:53 PM)Yoon Lee Wrote:
  • Fellow users, have you received any announcement or newsletter regarding the coming paid subscription plans? 
  • And again, the community of people who make Jamkazam such a lively and noisy place - what are your thoughts?

Yes, I received an email announcement yesterday with all the details. As an active daily user, I'm all in favor of subscription pricing and have been expecting it to happen for a while. I have one student on JK now and expect to have more.  My musical buddy and I have streamed live concerts to the Web from JK and look forward to doing more. And we're right now in the midst of recording some of our JK collaborations and sharing them on social media. Without JK we would have been stuck in our own studios in Brooklyn and Pittsburgh for the last nine months, bored to death and craving musical companion$p. JK  has been a real lifesaver and I am completely happy to have a way to support it and help the developers improve its functionality.

I contributed to the GoFundMe a few months ago and was happy to see how much that supercharged development, so I'm looking forward to even more improvements as JamKazam transitions to a subscription model.

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA

(10-26-2020, 09:28 AM)jschwarz Wrote: Does this mean, for example, that a group of 6 members will need to come up with 6 x 4.99 = 30 $ a month (360 $/year) and 20 choristers (if this size group is even possible with JK) would have to pay 20 x 10 $ monthly = 200 $ or 2400 $ /year? For a modestly-sized amateur chorus this is a non-starter IMHO.

It's not clear to me that this is what is meant. What I expect is that the person who starts the session is the one whose account controls the length of the session. So if a Gold member starts a session, the session might go on for hours, but someone with a basic account would be bounced after one hour. That makes much more sense than insisting that everyone has to be at the same level.

Regarding "affordability" think about this: if my community chorus was currently rehearsing, we'd be paying about $2400 per year to rent space. It's not very unreasonable to pay that to JK in exchange for the ability to really sing together. I'm also expecting that there will be special plans for school and church groups, so this looks like a fairly minor concern to me.

I'm sure we'll see answers to this kind of thing coming before the end of January. Until then, existing users have Platinum privileges anyway, so I'm not yet worried that I'll lose my jam buddies :-)

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jamkazam is moving onto Paid Subscriptions. Donors and volunteers' thoughts? - by cah329a - 12-04-2020, 07:56 PM
Impact of audio stream quality rates? - by DaveK - 12-04-2020, 09:37 PM
JK moving to paid subscription - by Jonasg - 12-04-2020, 11:12 PM