• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamkazam is moving onto Paid Subscriptions. Donors and volunteers' thoughts?
As for the alternatives, so far I’ve tried...

Real-time jam (with latency from the physical distances)
Jamulus (client) - simple, but slower at distances as it doesn’t have a p2p option.
Jamkazam (client/p2p) - works when it works, UI and stability issues.
Soundjack (p2p) - it worked well for me, UI is not designed to be pretty just yet...
JackTrip (p2p) - I already had a software audio re-router installed on my computer and didn’t want to mess with Jack - it’s not as simple to run unless you’re comfortable running things from terminal. Anyone had experience with these?

Online looper sort (you don’t deal with latency/sync anymore because you’re overdubbing on tracks other folks played a little while ago. - not great for jazz/improvised music as you don’t get the immediate reaction from others in the room, but if you just wanna groove, this works)
Ninjam - I used Jamtaba 2, which aggregates a bunch of ninjam servers onto one easy-to-use app.
Jammr - well, this one looked rather vacant, couldn’t really test one with anyone while I was on it for a couple of days.

As for the populousness of the users on these services, (3rd quarter 2020) seemingly Jamkazam has the most people on, then I’d say Jamtaba2, and Soundjack, then Jamulus, Jacktrip I haven’t tried myself. Jamkazam and soudjack has friending functions, with ninjam and supposedly JackTrip supplemented by forum/community.
The social network aspect seems to be the big factor for any app’s popularity, and while Jamkazam is a SNS/p2p and client combo app, it really is the least stable.

I’d like to use soundjack more for jamming with people I have contact outside Jamkazam, for the simplicity (install a control app and run it from a web browser - safari currently not supported) and p2p connection. (Minimal latency when compared to client/server option) Sound quality is very good on it as well. The UI looks more of a work in progress to me, but hey, it’s p2p and it works.

Again, any news/updates/experience on the JackTrip anyone? If anyone could compare it to Other services?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jamkazam is moving onto Paid Subscriptions. Donors and volunteers' thoughts? - by Yoon Lee - 10-30-2020, 07:12 PM
Impact of audio stream quality rates? - by DaveK - 12-04-2020, 09:37 PM
JK moving to paid subscription - by Jonasg - 12-04-2020, 11:12 PM