• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wifi or LAN
I am less than 10 ft from the modem (through a wall). The wall is a wood frame with drywall, so not much interference. I saw the appeal to use a hardwired connection, so I bought a really good ethernet cable, 30 ft long (since I have to go around two corners and it barely reaches). When I look at my performance on a network speedtest, I see essentially no difference. When I look at JK performance, I see NO difference. What am I missing??
(10-24-2020, 12:03 PM)ricmosley55@gmail.com Wrote: I am less than 10 ft from the modem (through a wall). The wall is a wood frame with drywall, so not much interference. I saw the appeal to use a hardwired connection, so I bought a really good ethernet cable, 30 ft long (since I have to go around two corners and it barely reaches). When I look at my performance on a network speedtest, I see essentially no difference. When I look at JK performance, I see NO difference. What am I missing??
>>>
WiFi will(!) give you more 'noise'/jitter - a less stable connection - and thus added latency. Maybe not all the time, but it will.
You do not want to be that person that messes up a session by using WiFi.
Make sure you actually TURN OFF WiFi on your computer, not just plug in the ethernet cable.    Most computers will preferentially connect via Wifi, so your connection might not have actually changed. I'd be VERY surprised if your connection numbers didn't improve.