• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Intermittent 100% packet loss
Lucky you
I tried again today and had constant dropouts of other players with the 100% packet loss issue
Most players could hear me ok but I couldn't hear them.
it would clear for a while then halfway thru a song silence than back again.
maybe its something to do with distance? I'm based in Australia playing mostly with US players so latency is usually 100-150 ish.
We are having the same problems here just starting this last week. About a week ago (on Oct 17 but I believe before the Oct 17 update was available), we had an extremely smooth session with 5 people in the session for almost 2 hours. Yesterday (Saturday Oct 24) we had another scheduled session with the same people and it was a complete disaster. We had installed the 2 updates between these sessions and we were having the same problems as described here. Certain people had certain other people signal cut in and out continuously, whereas other people could hear them perfectly. Leaving the session and even rebooting computers did NOT help. We are in within 30 miles of each other (most much closer) and each have very low local latency, fast wired internet connections, and low internet latency. We had not experienced these types of problems before this. I'm assuming it was the result of the latest updates, especially after reading this thread. We had to give up on that session because it was completely unplayable. We hope this is fixed soon so we can play together again on our weekly schedule!
I noticed there was a new release today (Oct 27, 2020 version 1.39.003). I hope this update fixes this issue!!
(10-27-2020, 10:41 PM)Tony Diamond Wrote: I noticed there was a new release today (Oct 27, 2020 version 1.39.003). I hope this update fixes this issue!!
We've noticed less of this problem for the last few days after the 10/27 update, but it's still happening a couple of times during each 1 hour daily session, with randomly unpredictable participants.  The improvement is noticeable, but it's still enough of a problem that we all talk about it when it happens.  We've started doing roll calls to figure out who is not hearing who.  Pity. 

This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed, especially if JK ever intends to charge for their service.  We have a number of regular participants who have left JK as a result of this issue.
Sadly, my two groups (4 online each) have experienced all of the symptoms described but these got MUCH WORSE following the Oct 27 update. Moved from irritating to session-ending!

JK says they didn't make many changes except defaulting routing logic to Prefer P2P, they suggest trying Prefer Low-latency to see if it helps.

Larry
Larry
Bassman9952@gmail.com
(11-05-2020, 01:33 AM)lconway Wrote: Sadly, my two groups (4 online each) have experienced all of the symptoms described but these got MUCH WORSE following the Oct 27 update. Moved from irritating to session-ending!

JK says they didn't make many changes except defaulting routing logic to Prefer P2P, they suggest trying Prefer Low-latency to see if it helps.

Larry
Don't forget this from JKs last email update on September 30:

Latency Reduction & Connectivity Improvements
In our last email, we shared some data on the latency reduction and connectivity success rates we can see from our new networking technologies. We have been continuing to complete the implementation of this set of technologies. It’s pretty complex stuff, so it’s taking time. There is also a limit to how much we can test it ourselves without pu$ng it out onto the platform, so the transition period as we release and harden this technology is going to be a little bumpy - but worth it!
My understanding is that this intermittent 100% packet loss is caused by some packets going by different routes. Because it is one of those occasional problems that doesn't always happen, it is difficult to know for certain if you have fixed it. However, what seems to help is:

a) Switch off WiFi before going into Jamkazam. It's not enough just to be connected to wired ethernet - wifi also needs to be off, otherwise, Jamkazam routes some packets via Wifi and they get lost.

b) Switch off IPv6 on your ethernet connection and then reboot before going into Jamkazam. 

It might also be necessary to reboot after switching off wifi. I'm not sure about that.

Hope this helps someone.
I think we are all doing that, but I will confirm. Thanks.
Larry
Bassman9952@gmail.com
(11-07-2020, 06:12 PM)terryh Wrote: My understanding is that this intermittent 100% packet loss is caused by some packets going by different routes. Because it is one of those occasional problems that doesn't always happen, it is difficult to know for certain if you have fixed it. However, what seems to help is:

a) Switch off WiFi before going into Jamkazam. It's not enough just to be connected to wired ethernet - wifi also needs to be off, otherwise, Jamkazam routes some packets via Wifi and they get lost.

b) Switch off IPv6 on your ethernet connection and then reboot before going into Jamkazam. 

It might also be necessary to reboot after switching off wifi. I'm not sure about that.

Hope this helps someone.
The intermittent packet loss issue is indeed related to packets taking different paths and is a bug that will be addressed in a client update coming in the next day or so. Our band confirmed the issue with JK development in a session today. Stand by for a fix!
Aces! Thanks
Larry
Bassman9952@gmail.com