• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barely adequate dynamic microphone gain
I am getting barely adequate microphone gain from my Behringer UWC 404HD.  I am using a Shure SM57 dynamic microphone and need to turn the gain knob to maximum to hear myself when not direct.  The mic has an XLR cable and on instrument setting.  Is this typical, or is there a problem with the interface box.
Assuming the alternative to 'instrument' setting is 'mic' setting', try setting it to 'mic'.
(09-25-2020, 03:10 PM)SteveW Wrote: Assuming the alternative to 'instrument' setting is 'mic' setting', try setting it to 'mic'.
  The other setting is line, not mic.  The line setting has lower volume.
Oh, sorry! I should have guessed it was not that easy!
(09-25-2020, 01:00 PM)Elb2000 Wrote: I am getting barely adequate microphone gain from my Behringer UWC 404HD.  I am using a Shure SM57 dynamic microphone and need to turn the gain knob to maximum to hear myself when not direct.  The mic has an XLR cable and on instrument setting.  Is this typical, or is there a problem with the interface box.
I'd hoped to find a spec on the mic pre gain in the 404HD, but I struck out completely. You would need at least 40dB of gain to get a 57 up to line level and I'd hope that the marketing distraction "world-class MIDAS-designed mic preamps" would get you at least 60dB. The lack of a basic spec like mic pre gain is probably an indication that something weird is going on. Sorry I couldn't help.
Thanks, per online comments from Behringer the UMC404HD has a max. +56 dB of gain preamp gain. The gain knob is around 4 o’clock and approaching the noisy maximum gain.  I’ll use as is and will maybe try an inline dynamic mic amp. It appears these are low cost and lower performance Midas preamps.