• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
latency suddenly went from 5 to 7.5
(09-12-2020, 08:41 PM)maxinegerb Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 08:35 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 08:28 PM)maxinegerb Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by "96k in FC & 48k in jamkazam". JK changes the FR sample rate to 48.
Why did you suggest that I should NOT re-install JK?
>>>
You set your hadware - the 2i2 - to 96k in the FC (Focusrite Control) software.
JKZ should normally default to 48k which is fine.

Reinstalling a program/app does not very often resolve technical issues that are related to external devices. (unless the software is the actual device driver or hardware control program)

Thanks. JK changes the Focusrite hardware sample rate to 48k, so if I go back to Focusrite Control, it's back to 48.

And nothing I've done gets the latency back down to 5.
>>>
So, you're saying that when you set the FR hardware clock to 96k in FC. Then go into gear setup in JKZ and set in- & output device to FR-asio/2i2 (whatever it's named), than use the little drop-down underneath to set JKZ to 96k and finish the setup, these settings won't 'stick'?
I'm getting confused between sample rate and buffer size.

In Focusrite Control, I can set the sample rate.
In the Focusrite ASIO panel (not part of the Focusrite Control application), I can set sample rate and buffer size.
In JK, in gear setup, I can set the sample rate, or I can select "Match". I've been selecting "Match", but perhaps I should specify?

It seems that no matter what I do, JK will reset Focusrite's buffer size. Sometimes it will also change the FR sample rate. 

What is the optimal combination of sample rate and buffer size? I thought that I previously had 48k/48, but perhaps not.

I'm probably being dense, but can you explain, step-by-step, what you think I should do?
Why do you suppose that JK forces the buffer size to twice the sample rate when the frame size is 1ms? I would expect them to be the same.
If I set the sample rate to 48, it forces the buffer size to 96, and if I set the sample rate to 96, it forces the buffer size to 192.
The 96/192 combination does get me a latency of 7.0, but not back to the 5.0 I was getting previously.
(09-12-2020, 09:03 PM)maxinegerb Wrote: I'm getting confused between sample rate and buffer size.

In Focusrite Control, I can set the sample rate.
In the Focusrite ASIO panel (not part of the Focusrite Control application), I can set sample rate and buffer size.
In JK, in gear setup, I can set the sample rate, or I can select "Match". I've been selecting "Match", but perhaps I should specify?

It seems that no matter what I do, JK will reset Focusrite's buffer size. Sometimes it will also change the FR sample rate. 

What is the optimal combination of sample rate and buffer size? I thought that I previously had 48k/48, but perhaps not.

I'm probably being dense, but can you explain, step-by-step, what you think I should do?

>>>
Forget the buffer size. (realy)

Sample Rate or Clock Rate/Speed is what we're trying get working for you.
Like I said before, the 2i2 seems to benefit from using 96k.
So set the FR-hardware to 96k in FC
In JKZ set your input and output(!) to your audio interface/asio driver (so, do not choose "same" at output)
Then set the sample or clock rate to the same 96k in the little drop-down and finish the setup. (so, do not choose "match")

Just for my information. Can you actually read your device latency in the jamkazam user interface?
I've seen many windows/jamkazam/focusrite combinations where the device/audio interface latency is listed as 0.0 (cannot be determined)

BTW - 7.5ms is not too bad. In combination with decent (low) internet/network latency this can still be very workable.
I did as you suggested, and my latency is 7.0, which is better than 7.5, but not as good as 5! Buffer size is 192, which I still can't understand.

I haven't tried actually playing with anyone yet, so maybe it will be okay, but it was just barely good enough at 5. The people I'm playing with are 800 miles from me.

It shows the latency when I do the gear setup, and again when I start a session.
The June update of the Focusrite driver made this happen. In being forced to go with 96000/192 rather than 96000/32, my (and others) latency went from 3.9 ms to 7.1 ms. Not good, especially if several jammers are using the Focusrite interface! We've gone back to the previous Focusrite driver until this is resolved. Apparently not a JK problem.
(10-10-2020, 04:00 PM)kempjef Wrote: The June update of the Focusrite driver made this happen.  In being forced to go with 96000/192 rather than 96000/32, my (and others) latency went from 3.9 ms to 7.1 ms.  Not good, especially if several jammers are using the Focusrite interface!  We've gone back to the previous Focusrite driver until this is resolved.  Apparently not a JK problem.
Interesting! How do I get the earlier focusrite driver?!?

(10-10-2020, 04:56 PM)maxinegerb Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 04:00 PM)kempjef Wrote: The June update of the Focusrite driver made this happen.  In being forced to go with 96000/192 rather than 96000/32, my (and others) latency went from 3.9 ms to 7.1 ms.  Not good, especially if several jammers are using the Focusrite interface!  We've gone back to the previous Focusrite driver until this is resolved.  Apparently not a JK problem.
Interesting! How do I get the earlier focusrite driver?!?
But wait, My latency didn't change until September. I only got my focusrite in July, and I then downloaded the current drivers.
Ah, well, that's a problem. Not sure where you might find previous drivers. But here's a tip: by Uninstalling both Focusrite Control and JamKazam, then reinstalling in that order (using latest Focusrite drivers), I am now able to get 96000/96 to 'stick' when starting JamKazam. Interface Latency is now 4.6 ms, which is acceptable, though a bit higher than before. Same process worked for my fellow jammers. So far things sound good. All using Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen.
(10-10-2020, 09:33 PM)kempjef Wrote: Ah, well, that's a problem.  Not sure where you might find previous drivers.  But here's a tip:  by Uninstalling and reinstalling both Focusrite Control and JamKazam, then reinstalling in that order (using latest Focusrite drivers), I am now able to get 96000/96 to 'stick' when starting JamKazam.  Interface Latency is now 4.6 ms, which is acceptable, though a bit higher than before.  Same process worked for my fellow jammers.  So far things sound good.  All using Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen.

Thanks! Did you really mean all three of these steps?
1. uninstall both focusrite and jamkazam
2. install both focusrite and jamkazam
3. reinstall both again, first focusrite control, then jamkazam?
No, no need to reinstall twice. Delete step 2.