• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distortion though PC Headphones
Hi Folks,

New user here. Setup Jamkazam (Windows) and am having problems with what I hear through either the speakers or headphones connected to my PC. My audio chain is:

Guitar >> Fractal Audio Axe-FX II >> PC over USB3

I'm using the FAS Audio ASIO driver for the input and am using my Creative Labs Z (WDM) driver for the output. There's no way to disable direct monitoring on the Axe-FX so I have no choice but to "monitor" using the PC soundcard. If I try and use the ASIO driver for the soundcard then Jamkazam reports that there's no device connected and it all gets a bit messy. My settings are as per the attached pic.

So... Jamkazam reports all as working. Bit of input/output jitter, but I'll figure that out soon enough. I start playing and 50% of the time, there's a truly horrid digital distortion sound coming out of the headphones/speakers. When I record using Jamkazam the recorded output is crystal clear, likewise if I connect to a friend's session, he can hear everything perfectly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can remedy this situation please as I've tried everything I can think of.

Thanks,
Simon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Doesn't your Audio Interface come with software that allows you to MUTE the inputs, therefore the Drive passes the audio directly to JK?
Hi GDJ,

I suspect I'm being thick, but I don't really follow. The audio is going straight out of the Axe-FX into JK. The issue seems to be that where I've selected the Audio Output as my internal soundcard, that is getting digital distortion when monitoring the signal coming back. When I record through JK the audio is exactly as you'd expect, so the signal path into JK seems okay, it's just the return so I can hear what I'm doing.

Cheers
In JK Audio Device setting > output channels, are you using the Axe effects driver? or your internal card drivers?
Hi,

This is the output from the logging which shows the configuration:

************** ENV STATE *************.{
    "**me": {
        "duration": "0:20:32::738",
        "env_state": " Country Info:Friday, September 11, 2020 9:37:36 AM GMT Summer Time-UnitedKingdom @=>  iNetworkTestScore:0 iVideoNetworkTestScore:0  ||  bStunTestDone:1 bNatPreservePort:1 bPortMapped:0 port:57990 useStaticPort:0 || Processor count =4/8. CPU_BRAND:= GenuineIntel CPUIFO:= Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz ",
        "inSession": false,
        "info": "*Me cid: **me name:Simon Harris uiSession:3776646 encgroup:0 randport:0 ONENAT:0",
        "ip": "qhaLocal: 10.58.0.130 qhaRemote:185.192.69.139 qhaNatAddr:  v4: 192.168.1.24 10.58.0.130  v6: ",
        "pt": "usPort: 57990 usNatPort:0 usIpv6Port:0  eLocation: 0 getUserAddress=b:0 a: p:104",
        "qmAudioStatus": {
            "acpu": 0.53970283269882202,
            "audio_in": "FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver",
            "audio_in_name": "Using audio device 21: ASIO FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver chans in:4 out:2 default srate:48000",
            "audio_in_type": "ASIO",
            "audio_out": "Speakers (Sound Blaster Speaker/Headphone)",
            "audio_out_name": "Using audio device 33: Windows WDM-KS Speakers (Sound Blaster Speaker/Headphone) chans in:0 out:6 default srate:48000",
            "audio_out_type": "Windows WDM-KS",
            "cpu": 0.73384904861450195,
            "framesize": 2.5,
            "in_latency": 2.3333332538604736,
            "input_jitter": 0,
            "input_median": 0,
            "io_out_latency": "Expected Latency =  3.77 +/- 1.00  ms  [Raw/PaBuff/PaRing Latency:  3.77 / 3.77 / 0.00 ms]",
            "out_latency": 1.4375,
            "output_jitter": 0,
            "output_median": 0,
            "output_name": 33,
            "samplerate": 48000
        },
        "qmNetworkStatus": {
        }
    },
    "*TrackPlays": {
        "backtrack_plays": 0,
        "jamtrack_plays": 0
    },
    "live_stream": {
    }
}

Annoyingly, I can't find the specific configuration part in the GUI that you reference. I've attached a screenshot of what I think it is (I hope!). Really appreciate your help with this as I think we're going to be using it pretty soon!

Okay, i believe I follow that you are forced to use the soundblaster output. You did mention this happens only 50 percent of the time, does that imply Audio is clear other times, when playing in a session? If so, i wonder if some of JK audio settings would be helpful to try. There's a Reset Audio option, which set's your audio volumes back to their default. Worth a try? I'm on a Mac but assume the option is also available in Windows JK. See screenshot

Also, as an alternative to try/test with: do you have an Audio Interface, Mixer with built in USB interface, or another multi effects with built in Interface?

That's exactly it, in that I'm forced to use the soundblaster output to listen to JK, as there's no way to disable direct monitoring on the Axe-FX; I'd end up hearing my guitar part twice!

I haven't tweaked anything within JK yet, I've only performed the initial audio setup and then this horrid digital distortion comes in and out as I'm playing. It probably does average about 50% of the time when in a session, but it's unpredictable and inconsistent. When I record within JK the artefacts are not present on the recording, so it's something that my sound card is introducing I believe. I wondered if maybe the two sample rates were different, but that log definitely states that they're both using 48kHz.

Unfortunately I don't have another interface to experiment with, but I can see myself buying one and treating the Axe-FX as an audio device rather than the audio interface. Irritatingly, it's not the Axe-FX, it has to be the soundcard, but there's no other way to integrate it with JK I don't believe.
If you're savvy enough, what some folks have done is use their DAW with an aggregate device setup so their chain is, instrument>input>DAW>JK. They have the option of using their DAW plugins too. I wonder, before you start dropping money for a new AI, if it would address the issue (or test), with having a DAW setup. There's a couple of good post already if you search for DAW.

I will say this too, as reality check. This digital noise.. i think I know what you're talking about. Last night i was in a session about 8 people and this high pitch squealing sound started up. At that point.. all of us left the session and started a new one. Attempts to use the same session often prove unhelpful.  So maybe you are not alone and since what you are reporting seems intermittent, it might be there's nothing going on with your own setup? Could this be a JK think?

May share how many people are in your session when it happens, and, does it happen in your own private session when testing?
It's full on distortion, not far off "The Matrix" sound and it happens during the audio setup wizard and when I'm in a session on my own or with others. Seems a fairly consistent problem my end, rather than anything else that's being introduced. It doesn't happen with anything else, just JK.

I've bought a Behringer interface to get me over this issue (I hope!). It's one of the ones that JK approves, so hopefully this gets around the problem.

Thanks for your help!
Just curios, while you wait for the interface.. did you get a chance to try resetting the Audio, in JK, per my previous posting?