• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible without interface?
I got the impression from this video that it's possible to use JK on a mac with just the built-in input and output, and without an audio interface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-9PW50y...l=JamKazam

When I try to start a solo session it says my gear is not functioning/connected, which doesn't make sense because it always should be? (maybe a permissions issue?)

So then on the audio gear screen I choose my input as the built in mic and the output as the built in output – but it says my output is not connected. Then I get another popup saying my sample rates are currently in conflict, so I'm not sure which the problem is.

I went into the audio midi setup app and made sure the sample rates for my mic and output were the same. I also tried all the sample rates given in the JK app and changed the formats in audio midi setup correspondingly, but got the same problem every time.

I also heard that I should try closing all my apps and just opening JK, but that didn't work. And I get this same error whether or not I'm using headphones.

Any ideas?
I have to ask..is anything preventing you from getting an Audio Interface?

I agree with what you are saying, and the video. However, I have not personally tried it with the built in System Audio and suspect it requires making sure you have the correct plugs and adapter. Or, are you just using an Microphone to get things working?
(09-07-2020, 02:44 AM)GDJ Wrote: I have to ask..is anything preventing you from getting an Audio Interface?

I agree with what you are saying, and the video. However, I have not personally tried it with the built in System Audio and suspect it requires making sure you have the correct plugs and adapter. Or, are you just using an Microphone to get things working?
I could get an audio interface- the problem is I'm trying this out for a group in which most people don't already have one, so we're trying to get it to work with just the built-in stuff. I tried using a usb mic, but the problem seems to be the output and not the input. Since it's all internal I didn't think there'd be any room for error. I'll try using a different output though.

Because there's a video about this I'd assume there would be a way to get this to work?
(09-07-2020, 05:39 AM)preservekazam Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 02:44 AM)GDJ Wrote: I have to ask..is anything preventing you from getting an Audio Interface?

I could get an audio interface- the problem is I'm trying this out for a group in which most people don't already have one, so we're trying to get it to work with just the built-in stuff. I tried using a usb mic, but the problem seems to be the output and not the input. Since it's all internal I didn't think there'd be any room for error. I'll try using a different output though.

Because there's a video about this I'd assume there would be a way to get this to work?
I have JK working WITHOUT a separate Audio i/f ... but that is on Windows 10.  .... even then, you cannot ‘just use the built in mic & speaker’ .... they are too close together and feedback.  Also, the built in mic picks up the hum from the fan.

Like you I was testing this so that’s I could advise others in the group what to do .... for windows, I needed to install the ASIO4ALL driver - then my plugged in mic & headphones worked with ‘just about acceptable latency’.   And its still much better with a proper interface.
It also might be a permissions error because of Catalina. I gave it full disk access though.

I guess I'll cave and get an audio interface, because this doesn't seem to be a problem for other people, but I would think there would be a solution for this.
Well I got access to an audio interface, but I still have the same problem.

I'm making my audio interface my input and my output in the settings, and have connected my headphones and mic to that. But I'm still getting the "sample rate settings are currently in conflict" error. Again, I matched up the bit rate between all the things involved in my audio midi settings.

What can I do about this? The error message has a link that looks like it's going to send me to a help page, but it just sends me to "coming soon," so why have a link at all?
You have me curios, as a mac owner. I'm not sorry you got an interface, since it's ultimately still the best option. The rate issue is interesting, still. Especially since it's happening. Maybe put the cards on the table; what audio interface did you get? does it come with it's own software interface? and confirm.. you did not/should not mess with your System Preference Sound/Audio settings? by the way, by chance you using Zoom on the same computer? I have a MOTU interface and it has it's own GUI driver that allows me to change the the khz. Seems like JK prefers 48. Also, what do you have in Audio/MidI audio settings for your Built In Mic and Output. My feeling is, get maybe get it figured out with your interface then revisit getting it figured out minus the interface for your original intention. However, i suspect you intended to plug a Mic into the mic input of the Mac, or use a USB? And of course, you would need headphones from the headphone jack. The prob here could be if the Mac does not have separate jacks for both. Hence, back to the interface as the best option. To be creative consider some effects unites have a built in interface.
I've seen JK issue false error messages. If you ignore it and create a solo session anyway, can you hear yourself?
>>>
Pls reset your MAC audio/midi settings back to their defaults and start over.
I've installed and assisted on many Jamkazam setups (both mac & win) and unless someone was using multiple (virtual) devices have never had to touch the device settings under MAC's audio/midi.
(without being disrespectful, a lot of users won't even know where to find or how to adjust those settings in their OS)

And like suggested earlier, what if you ignore the warning and proceed with setup?

EDIT: as mentioned before it could help to know which device you are using, is it in the list of 'tested/compatible' audio devices and does it come with dedicated software for your OS?

NB - if you would want to try figuring this out 'live' I'm sure we could work something out (just PM me)
OK - I'm on Catalina and using a Steinberg UR12. I see that's not on the list of the ones confirmed working, but other ones in the same series seem to be.
But again, I don't think not having an interface is the problem, as I got the same error message with and without it.

I reset the built-in input and output to 16 bit, which I believe was the default. There was also a device from Zoom there which was 32-bit, but I deleted it and that didn't change anything.

And yeah, I can't ignore the warning because it won't let me click the "continue to session" button on the quick start solo page. I'm really baffled by this because people I've talked to got it to work on other Macs with the same OS. So I'm just going to see if I can use someone else's computer, but this is still a weird thing.