• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamkazam keeps asking to reload app on Mac OSX
I have a friend that I am trying to get setup for Jamkazam.  He has downloaded Jamkazam to his Macbook Pro, but each time he tries to get setup for a session he says Jamkazam tells him to download the app again.  Is there a problem with Jamkazam and particular versions of Mac OSX?  Or is there some Apple Security issue that could cause this?  Thanks to anyone can help .... heopefuly I can get rid of his frustration with Jamkazam.
(09-03-2020, 05:12 AM)Richard Head Wrote: I have a friend that I am trying to get setup for Jamkazam.  He has downloaded Jamkazam to his Macbook Pro, but each time he tries to get setup for a session he says Jamkazam tells him to download the app again.  Is there a problem with Jamkazam and particular versions of Mac OSX?  Or is there some Apple Security issue that could cause this?  Thanks to anyone can help .... heopefuly I can get rid of his frustration with Jamkazam.
>>>
So you say, "but each time he tries to get setup for a session he says Jamkazam tells him to download the app again".

Does that mean he did successfully install the program in the first place? and was able to properly configure his audio device? or even join/start a session (since you say "each time")
I see, so you're saying he's always seeing the so called, New JK Applicaion message every time he starts the app, even though it's the latest. I agree with you that in part it could be Apple privacy & security settings however, i wonder if he is also running an IP sniffer like Little Snitch that is blocking and outbound call home to the JK server.

One suggestion. Download the stand alone installer form the home page.
Delete the current App, in the Application Folder
Install stand alone one, and launch it.
(09-03-2020, 12:46 PM)GDJ Wrote: I see, so you're saying he's always seeing the so called, New JK Applicaion message every time he starts the app, even though it's the latest. I agree with you that in part it could be Apple privacy & security settings however, i wonder if he is also running an IP sniffer like Little Snitch that is blocking and outbound call home to the JK server.

One suggestion. Download the stand alone installer form the home page.
Delete the current App, in the Application Folder
Install stand alone one, and launch it.

He is running Catalina 10.15.  I will give him the suggestion you just made but where do you find the stand alone version?  I have looked at the web page and only see downloads for Mac and windows with no indication of stand alone.

And yes he downloaded the Mac version but has not been able to open it to get set up ...it keeps telling him to download the app.
To be honest.. i'm a little confused..

"And yes he downloaded the Mac version but has not been able to open it to get set up ...it keeps telling him to download the app"

I'm going to assume i misunderstood what you're saying at first because in order to get the message to get the new version, you have to launch app, which implies it is installed. But based on what you're saying, not necessarily. it would be good to know, EXACTLY at what point/click, is the message happening?

Moving forward..

1. i agree, finding the stand alone installer is not upfront because the website puts you through the registration process first. but if you click on other links, you eventually get here: https://www.jamkazam.com/downloads

That is the stand alone installer

2. Make sure to first delete the one in the applications folder, before installing the downloaded one.
I am sorry but I am giving second hand information.  I am trying to encourage him to use Jamkazam but he is getting very frustrated with it.  Here is exactly what he has told me:

"The Mac app on the Jamkazam website does not work after I download it my MacBook Pro. I can't set up a session or test. Every time I try to do something it just tells me to download the app, which I already have done. I've also tried it with my iPad and still no connection. I've spent most of the day searching the internet for help, but no result."

And from what I can tell, that standalone as you have highlighted is what he has downloaded....but I will ask again. It is the only one that I find personally.
Thanks Richard. And, I agree with you, I can see how this is Frustrating. Especially for what you shared as a direct quote. Here's where it gets even more confusing. There is no iPad app for JamKazam! So... the information you are getting, well... let's see if we can try and work with it.

My take is, he actually has it installed and is able to click on the app icon and get it running, but..he's getting the persistent message. Let's first get an understanding on the best approach.

How are you able to help him? Specifically, do you consider yourself fairly technical savvy with Mac, and is your friend capable of following instructions, and what is your impression about how Savvy he is? I'm asking because it drives how specific we can get to help. Unfortunately, JamKazam assumes some level of technical learning curve to get things working.

Just a quick Update. For the heck of it, i decided to search the apple store and found that JamKazam does have a separate app for Ipad, but it is not JamKazam. It is Jamtracks. I think this is an important distinction to make with the information we were given..

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/jamtracks/...tform=ipad
Thanks.  I count myself fairly savvy on computers in general ...however when it gets to coding language and using something like Terminal in Mac OSX it is best I just get copy and paste coding syntax.

This friend is long distance and candidly he is a new friend so I do not know how savvy he is on computers.  The background is he is a songwriter/musician that I found through Bandmix and contacted.  My desires with Jamkazam are to form a virtual band with other musicians that are of like mind.  So besides this gentleman I will probably have a couple of others that I will try to get on Jamkazam.  If all this can work, then we would have an entity that could use Jamkazam as the vehicle for all of our efforts.  And further, if that is the case I can see revenue support for Jamkazam coming from this effort.

I will do all that I can to help here because first it is somewhat mercenary.  I like the talent that this new friend offers and could see benefit in us working together real time as opposed to just trading recording tracks to create final product.  And I think this is where Jamkazam really has an opportunity if it can work.  I think it can because I have been able to jam with a couple of folks without latency etc..  But all the technical stuff was in order.  I have tried with others and Jamkazam was terrible because of the other folks technical setup.  For me, I have fiber and a good i/o computer setup and all lights are green with my setup.  

This individuals internet connection may not be up to the task either (he is on cable) but we have to get Jamkazam working for him so he can at least test his setup.  The good news is he has spend a good bit of time trying.  I have to say I have contacted several other musicians and a lot of the response has been they tried Jamkazam and found it of no use.  

So fire away with suggestions and I will do what I can to try to overcome these hurdles for this individual as well as any others I would like to work with.  

Thnaks,

Richard
>>>
Okay, from the latest info given I presume your friend did not install the program (app) at all but is trying to run setup or a session from the actual website. The fact that he is trying from his iPad as well would confirm this, since there is no JamKazam app for an iPad ... .

Although the 'user interface' when logged onto the website looks very similar to the actual program/app it will not function as such.

So, download the installer, run it from the downloads folder and click the actual program icon to start it. Log in and proceed from there.
Hey Richard, I have an interesting test for your friend to perform. Not a lot of people know about this because it's not documented anywhere. When launching the App, the next time the window appears saying there is a new version, instead of clicking the button to update it, HIT THE ESC KEY. That's right, by pressing the ESC key, this will dismiss that window and allow for continuing to use the App. Now, i realize - and from what i understand, your friend gets the message everytime he clicks on something. But at least confirm by hitting Esc, that update message goes away - temporarily. He mat have to click Esc a few times. 

I have been thinking about this and it really goes back to my other questions about whether has an IP utility installed like Little Snitch, or, this could be something with this OSx FireWall settings.  I know for me since I have a hardware router and a 5 mac network, I have my OS X firewall turned off so i can I keep things working. It's worth a test to see if the problem goes away when turning these off.