• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apogee ONE question
hey i'm curious to know if anyone uses the Apogee ONE interface successfully on JK. I use it for bass and it sounds great over here, but i'm constantly having problems in sessions with not hearing anyone else--when they can hear me fine. i've reconfigured things a few times over here, and now lately when i get to the point in the audio setup where you supposed to hear the test sounds, nothing. this was not the case before.

i'm running a mac OSX 10.12.6 and as i said the apogee works great for me in other apps. hoping there's some magic setting i'm missing.

thanks...

leo huppert
bassist
ny/nj
bottom dweller since 1971
Hi I'm using an Apogee One and a Mac Air Running High Sierra 10.13.6

It works ok, though occasionally I do get issues with not hearing another player. I have found simply switching to a different USB port on my Air often solves the issue. .... Annoying nonetheless.

I am getting Latency though of 9.8 ... any suggestions of how to improve on that?
(01-01-2021, 11:07 PM)Brooklyn Cellin Wrote: Hi I'm using an Apogee One and a Mac Air Running High Sierra 10.13.6

It works ok, though occasionally I do get issues with not hearing another player.  I have found simply switching to a different USB port on my  Air often solves the issue.  .... Annoying nonetheless.

I am getting Latency though of 9.8 ... any suggestions of how to improve on that?
To improve your latency, whether on Mac or Windows, requires the use of a custom, ASIO-based driver for your hardware interface. On a Mac, this will require the use of a Thunderbolt 3 port.
(01-02-2021, 02:53 AM)StuartR Wrote:
(01-01-2021, 11:07 PM)Brooklyn Cellin Wrote: Hi I'm using an Apogee One and a Mac Air Running High Sierra 10.13.6

It works ok, though occasionally I do get issues with not hearing another player.  I have found simply switching to a different USB port on my  Air often solves the issue.  .... Annoying nonetheless.

To improve your latency, whether on Mac or Windows, requires the use of a custom, ASIO-based driver for your hardware interface. On a Mac, this will require the use of a Thunderbolt 3 port.
Where do I find the right ASIO based driver for the Apogee One?  My Mac is from  2016 and I am using its Thunderbolt Port which it says is rated at 10Gb/ps.  So are you saying I would need a new machine to get any benefit from the ASIO based driver.

NYC Bass Guy -- I as mentioned earlier... I am using the Apogee One OK most of the time with High Sierra so perhaps if you upgrade your OS to High Sierra 10.13.6 you will get it working.
I am running Apogee One with a Mac Air and High Sierra.  Often find that my interface stops working and then only way to resolve the issue is to unplug the interface from the USB port and plug it in to a different USB port.  Anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions of a better solution?
I read you are (were?) using the Thunderbolt port for a USB device. If that is so, please try the Apogee One going straight into a USB port on your Mac.
If you are still having problems after that, and Apogee support can't help, then I would suggest you look for an interface with native Thunderbolt support. Even though Thunderbolt 2 can deliver 10Gb/s, USB 2 cannot, so you can't ever reach that level of high speed and low latency using the Apogee One (sorry for the bad news)
(01-15-2021, 10:11 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: I read you are (were?) using the Thunderbolt port for a USB device. If that is so, please try the Apogee One going straight into a USB port on your Mac.
If you are still having problems after that, and Apogee support can't help, then I would suggest you look for an interface with native Thunderbolt support. Even though Thunderbolt 2 can deliver 10Gb/s, USB 2 cannot, so you can't ever reach that level of high speed and low latency using the Apogee One (sorry for the bad news)
Try the MOTU M series. You can achieve approximately 3 msecs latency using their driver through a Thunderbolt 3 port.
(01-16-2021, 05:49 AM)StuartR Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 10:11 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: I read you are (were?) using the Thunderbolt port for a USB device. If that is so, please try the Apogee One going straight into a USB port on your Mac.
Try the MOTU M series. You can achieve approximately 3 msecs latency using their driver through a Thunderbolt 3 port.

I'm getting 3.2/6 with my old motu traveler va USB 2. Not bad

Thanks- actually what I meant to say is that I am connected to the  internet through a thunderbolt - ethernet adapter plugged into  the sole thunderbolt port.  The Apogee One is plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port.  Its a 2016 Mac Air so it doesn't have Thunderbolt 3 or USB C ports.

I have gotten latency down to 6.8 ms by reducing my buffer to 1 ms but  still  having that issue with it just cra$ng spontaneously, solved by replugging in to a different USB port.  Performance of the CPU seems fine and does not look overworked.

Think I may wait til Im ready to upgrade the computer before buying a new interface at which point I will see what there is out there in Thunderbolt 3

Thanks- actually what I meant to say is that I am connected to the  internet through a thunderbolt - ethernet adapter plugged into  the sole thunderbolt port.  The Apogee One is plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port.  Its a 2016 Mac Air so it doesn't have Thunderbolt 3 or USB C ports.

I have gotten latency down to 6.8 ms by reducing my buffer to 1 ms but  still  having that issue with it just cra$ng spontaneously, solved by replugging in to a different USB port.  Performance of the CPU seems fine and does not look overworked.

Think I may wait til Im ready to upgrade the computer before buying a new interface at which point I will see what there is out there in Thunderbolt 3