• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharing pdfs of lyrics, chords, tabs, etc.
I realize that we can share a pdf via chat once we're in a session. I've seen this be very handy for everyone in a session to know the chords and lyrics.

My question/suggestion is: can we have a repository of files that we can access and share quickly and conveniently.

Better yet, what if I could have an index of the songs in my repertoire to serve as a suggestion bank and everyone can click on the one we agree to do.

Taking it one step further, perhaps a crowd-sourced library...
(08-27-2020, 09:13 PM)ppalumbo1347@gmail.com Wrote: I realize that we can share a pdf via chat once we're in a session. I've seen this be very handy for everyone in a session to know the chords and lyrics.

My question/suggestion is: can we have a repository of files that we can access and share quickly and conveniently.

Better yet, what if I could have an index of the songs in my repertoire to serve as a suggestion bank and everyone can click on the one we agree to do.

Taking it one step further, perhaps a crowd-sourced library...
Sharing music becomes a legal problem - more so in some countries than others.  Sheet music is subject to international copyright - just because you bought a copy, does not mean that you can just share it around.  .... even if the tune was written in 1920’s - it will still be somebodies property (even more so if you are playing a more recent arrangement).  There are lots of sites around that share the chords and the lyrics - since those allow musicians to improvise over and make their own tunes.

Often the copyright is ignored when using sheet music ‘for educational purposes’ ... so it is OK for a music tutor or rehearsal band leader to share out sheet music to students.  This would not apply if you were selling the eventual recording.

I share out specific parts to others playing with me on an ‘as required basis’ using online file sharing... or we all play off our own copies of publications like ‘the real book’.  I cant see how a ‘crowd funded’ borrowing library could legally work.