• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
high interface latency with Scarlett 2i2 on Mac mini
Is anybody able to get acceptable latency using a Mac Mini (2020) and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

Hardware:  new 6 core i7 with 16BG memory and MacOS 10.15.6
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 third generation
Jamkazam latest release, latency patch installed, frame rate at 1

Best I can get is 17.9ms for audio interface latency with focusrite.  I can get down to 7.9ms with 4 year old Presonus Audiobox i2. Still not quite usable, but better

Bonus question - any idea  why the performance of the Scarlett and the Audiobox would have been almost exactly the opposite on the MacBook pro (2015) I was running before? Core audio performance on the Jamkazam interface is green.

Focusrite support has responded but has nothing to offer so far.
(08-25-2020, 12:34 AM)ssjk1 Wrote: Is anybody able to get acceptable latency using a Mac Mini (2020) and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

Best I can get is 17.9ms for audio interface latency with focusrite.  I can get down to 7.9ms with 4 year old Presonus Audiobox i2. Still not quite usable, but better

Bonus question - any idea  why the performance of the Scarlett and the Audiobox would have been almost exactly the opposite on the MacBook pro (2015) I was running before? Core audio performance on the Jamkazam interface is green.

>>>
The 2i2 is a much used and thus much discussed device. There seem to be challenges on both Windows and MAC.
There is an (older?) 'low latency driver' from Focusrite that has helped folks to get things tuned on MAC.
Also there are reports of jammers using a 96k/16 setting with good result. Sofar I've seen the 2i2 (3rd gen) doing a good job for what it is.
When you 'Search' the forum, you'll find heaps of info on Focusrite.
(08-25-2020, 12:34 AM)ssjk1 Wrote: Is anybody able to get acceptable latency using a Mac Mini (2020) and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

Do you still have access to the MacBook Pro? .... can you check what your settings were on that (or from someone else with the same kit).... and then set your Mac mini settings the same way?

General advice for focusrite appears to be ‘96k sample rate 1ms frame and fiddle with the buffer size to get latency as low as possible’. .... that works well with mine (but I use windows).  Good luck

I have the exact same Mac Mini and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and get around 5ms latency.  Two things that helped were to FIRST open up the Focusrite Control app (even though it doesn't seem to do anything, the Scarlett works better in JK when its opened first and left open) then open up JamKazam and set the audio booster to 128 Kbit/s, uncheck Auto Throttle Bitrate, uncheck Auto Throttle Network Packet Rate and select 100 Pkt/s.  I attached a screenshot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am using a Scarlet 2i2 and a MacBook Pro running MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 and I too have too much latency from my gear. Would love some help with this. I did set the 96 KHz sample rate in the Focusrite control app. Could you get any help from Focusrite?? So frustrating since this gear is supposed to be so good.

(08-26-2020, 01:46 AM)IJAM Wrote:

I have the exact same Mac Mini and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and get around 5ms latency.  Two things that helped were to FIRST open up the Focusrite Control app (even though it doesn't seem to do anything, the Scarlett works better in JK when its opened first and left open) then open up JamKazam and set the audio booster to 128 Kbit/s, uncheck Auto Throttle Bitrate, uncheck Auto Throttle Network Packet Rate and select 100 Pkt/s.  I attached a screenshot.

(08-30-2020, 03:20 AM)cohen1815@gmail.com Wrote:

I am using a Scarlet 2i2 and a MacBook Pro running MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 and I too have too much latency from my gear. Would love some help with this. I did set the 96 KHz sample rate in the Focusrite control app. Could you get any help from Focusrite?? So frustrating since this gear is supposed to be so good.

Hello- I do not see how to get to that audio booster screen! Is it in JK or in the Scarlet Control? I do not have any software loaded onto my Scarlet...

UPDATE: I have managed to get to a much better 4.2ms gear latency in a solo session using the following settings:  Sample rate 96Khz.  Set this via the focusrite control software.  click on the little gear symbol at the top left after you start the control software and you will see that sample rate is basically the only thing you can change.  I tried them all and 96K works best.  Set frame size at 1 via the JamKazam "manage" menu item at the top left (must be in session).
(08-30-2020, 08:52 PM)ssjk1 Wrote:

UPDATE: I have managed to get to a much better 4.2ms gear latency in a solo session using the following settings:  Sample rate 96Khz.  Set this via the focusrite control software.  click on the little gear symbol at the top left after you start the control software and you will see that sample rate is basically the only thing you can change.  I tried them all and 96K works best.  Set frame size at 1 via the JamKazam "manage" menu item at the top left (must be in session).
Hi- thanks for the info. I also installed the Focusrite latency fix and restarted my computer but do not see any difference with it. I wrote to Focusrite for help. Also I am wondering if the fact that my Scarlet connects to my computer via a hub might add latency, so I just ordered an adapter to let me connect it directly to my computer.

Hello- I do not see how to get to that audio booster screen! Is it in JK or in the Scarlet Control? I do not have any software loaded onto my Scarlet...
Here is the link for the Focusrite Control software 
https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads?
brand=Focusrite&product_by_range=1361&download_type=all

To get to the Audio Booster, go to the top left hand corner of your screen where you see the apple logo, then it says JamKazam and then Manage.  Click on Manage>Audio Settings>Audio Booster