• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 important questions on recordings help please!
Big Grin 
Guys - I am a vocalist and on the recordings as well as many times my band says I only come in one ear and my voals have static. I am listening to a mix of our rehearsal from tonight and again I hear static and in one ear from my vocals. I have a solo scarlett and blue compression mic. Any help please? I am using windows 10.
Second question - how do I download and cut up the final recording as it is in oss and not mp3 or can i convert and then edit?
(08-17-2020, 01:26 AM)jasmine@jasminesandler.com Wrote: Guys - I am a vocalist and on the recordings as well as many times my band says I only come in one ear and my voals have static. I am listening to a mix of our rehearsal from tonight and again I hear static and in one ear from my vocals. I have a solo scarlett and blue compression mic. Any help please? I am using windows 10.
Second question - how do I download and cut up the final recording as it is in oss and not mp3 or can i convert and then edit?
Hi Jasmine,  I use Focusrite Scarlett on Windows 10. ... and I have heard that static on the recordings too.  On mine, it appears worse when there is a sharp attack on the note - heavy accents or loud pieces.  I got some improvement by turning the gain down and also by trying out different bit rate / frame size settings (sorry - but its a question of trial and error to get the best mix). .... You could also try recording video and taking your audio feed from that (sounds daft - but i dont get any Statius on the recorded video)

The second question is much easier ... Your music sessions are recorded on your PC in \users\<your name>\music\JamKazam\recordings\<sone hexadecimal string>\ ..... there are now a set of folders with Hexadecimal names with the date of the session.  You have to hunt around - but in the folder will be a list of the local tracks (i.e. You) and RT. Remote tracks (i.e the others on your session).  These are usually compressed in ‘ogg’ format .... but may also be uncompressed ‘wav’ files.  Any audio mixing software will be able to accept these (they are ‘like MP3’ - but developers dont have to pay royalty fees to use them).  Also - from the file manager, you can ‘export’ recordings to the Documents\JamKazam\Recordings folder ... these are all ogg format.

If for some reason your audio software wont read ogg format, you could easily convert them online (google search for ‘ogg to mp3’).... or download a decent DAW that does work (I use Audacity - Which is free) - but there are lots available.
Hi. I also use Audacity to convert the ogg files as the uncompressed wav recordings all have static. It's a shame, as the compressed files obviously don't have the same sound quality, apart from the static. It seems to be worse on long notes. If anyone has managed to get rid of the static on wav files I'd love to know. I spent months messing around with all the settings, but it seems to make no difference and I ended up leaving it on the default ones.
(off topic ,but if you are using a Scarlett and haven't found it; there is a link on the forum to a Focusrite patch which reduced the latency on my device by a significant amount. If you want it and can't locate it, I'll have another look for it. It''s the most useful thing I've found on the forum so far).

(Scarlett 2i4. MacBook Air OS 10.14 Mojave)
I’ve been trying to understand the relation$p between these various audio files and my observations are as follows...

At the end of each recording session, JK saves the following files:
- wav files containing the audio streams from each of the participants. If a participant was using multiple inputs (say, a guitar and a vocal mic) these will be mixed together in the wav file using the mix settings set by that participant.
- a wav file for each of your own instrumental/vocal tracks.
- a wav file containing a mix of all participants. I think this is mixed the same as your own headphone monitor mix.

Shortly after the session ends (assuming you leave the app running) JK converts your own instrumental/vocal track files from wav to ogg format and deletes the original wav versions.

Next, JK uploads the ogg files of your instruments/vocals to the central server, along with equivalent files from each of the other participants. When this has completed, the server should have a full set of track files for every vocal or instrumental track from all the participants. These files were all recorded locally on the participants’ PCs, and should not suffer from problems like network dropouts.

The central JK server downloads the full set of these files to each participant. All this can take several hours and the app needs to be left running for it all to work successfully. The central server is also supposed to use this full set of track files to produce a high-quality mix of the session, but that function hasn’t worked for me for several months.

If you want to do your own mix, using a DAW, you have the choice of using the wav stream files (one per participant) or the ogg files (one per instrument/vocal). In my own experience, the wav files are not very good: they suffer from network glitches and quite heavy compression across the network; plus they are usually a mix of instrument and vocal which can’t be separated. They do have the advantage that they are synchronised.

If you use the ogg files, they are generally of better quality, despite the ogg compression, because they were recorded locally. Also, with one file per instrument, you have much more freedom in mixing them. The disadvantage is that they are not synchronised.

The way I work is to start by putting all the wav stream files and the ogg track files into Audacity. For each participant, I then slide the ogg files around manually to line them up with the corresponding wav stream files. In this way, I can get the whole lot in synchronism quite easily.I trim the beginnings and ands and then re-save all the tracks. I can then import these adjusted track files into a DAW and do the mixing.

Regards

Steve