• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent digital distortion
Hello all. My band has been using Jamkazam since shortly before Covid Lockdowns occurred. We have been working relatively trouble free, with the exception of occasional dropouts. We had been in a 4 piece configuration, but after we added a 5th player randomly and often our audio stream breaks up into packet loss digital distortion. We all have high speed connections. I am on Fiber Optic at 100-300MB. 2 of us are on PC, 3 on Mac. My PC uses MOTU (samples per buffer at 64) and my latency is extremely low 3.9ms. When we were working as a quartet, and things were going well, I rarely saw my Internet jitter above yellow. Now when the distortion hits, all of us go into red. Only resync will clear it, but often only for a few seconds. It's very frustrating. I am separated from the other 4 members by approximately 90 miles, while they are relatively close together. While occasional latencies were a problem, the jitter issue only started when we added a 5th player. The 5th player is on an iMac with a M Box Pro. I did some testing one on one with him after our session yesterday and all seemed perfect. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steve
(08-13-2020, 11:40 PM)Steve Fundy Wrote: Hello all. My band has been using Jamkazam since shortly before Covid Lockdowns occurred. We have been working relatively trouble free, with the exception of occasional dropouts. We had been in a 4 piece configuration, but after we added a 5th player randomly and often our audio stream breaks up into packet loss digital distortion. We all have high speed connections. I am on Fiber Optic at 100-300MB. 2 of us are on PC, 3 on Mac. My PC uses MOTU (samples per buffer at 64) and my latency is extremely low 3.9ms. When we were working as a quartet, and things were going well, I rarely saw my Internet jitter above yellow. Now when the distortion hits, all of us go into red. Only resync will clear it, but often only for a few seconds. It's very frustrating. I am separated from the other 4 members by approximately 90 miles, while they are relatively close together. While occasional latencies were a problem, the jitter issue only started when we added a 5th player. The 5th player is on an iMac with a M Box Pro. I did some testing one on one with him after our session yesterday and all seemed perfect. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steve
>>>
Hi Steve, any?  5th player?, or always the same peer?
(08-14-2020, 12:05 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 11:40 PM)Steve Fundy Wrote: Hello all. My band has been using Jamkazam since shortly before Covid Lockdowns occurred. We have been working relatively trouble free, with the exception of occasional dropouts. We had been in a 4 piece configuration, but after we added a 5th player randomly and often our audio stream breaks up into packet loss digital distortion. We all have high speed connections. I am on Fiber Optic at 100-300MB. 2 of us are on PC, 3 on Mac. My PC uses MOTU (samples per buffer at 64) and my latency is extremely low 3.9ms. When we were working as a quartet, and things were going well, I rarely saw my Internet jitter above yellow. Now when the distortion hits, all of us go into red. Only resync will clear it, but often only for a few seconds. It's very frustrating. I am separated from the other 4 members by approximately 90 miles, while they are relatively close together. While occasional latencies were a problem, the jitter issue only started when we added a 5th player. The 5th player is on an iMac with a M Box Pro. I did some testing one on one with him after our session yesterday and all seemed perfect. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steve
>>>

Hi. I thought that our drummer who is the 5th player might have been the culprit, but it's hard to prove. I did some checking with his settings, but nothing odd. He does use an old interface. I believe he is getting a new one. Maybe that will clear it up? What I am trying to determine is, when it happens, the internet jitter goes way up for all of us. I wonder how I can see if it's one particular user who is the cause of that.
Steve
(08-14-2020, 08:57 PM)Steve Fundy Wrote:
Thanks,
Steve
>>>

Hi. I thought that our drummer who is the 5th player might have been the culprit, but it's hard to prove. I did some checking with his settings, but nothing odd. He does use an old interface. I believe he is getting a new one. Maybe that will clear it up? What I am trying to determine is, when it happens, the internet jitter goes way up for all of us. I wonder how I can see if it's one particular user who is the cause of that.
Steve
>>>
Setup a 'test session/rehearsal'. Start off with 'the four' and add 'the fifth peer'.
Then start another (new) session and start off with four in a different combo. Repeat this a couple of times alternating 'the fifth' peer.
IMHO it is a networking issue and nothing to do with make/type/age of sound card/audio interface, nor location of the peers.
Are you sure everyone of you is using a true IPv4 address? (so no DSLite tunneling (IPv4 over IPv6))
(08-15-2020, 03:08 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 08:57 PM)Steve Fundy Wrote:
Thanks,
Steve
>>>

Steve
>>>
Setup a 'test session/rehearsal'. Start off with 'the four' and add 'the fifth peer'.
Then start another (new) session and start off with four in a different combo. Repeat this a couple of times alternating 'the fifth' peer.
IMHO it is a networking issue and nothing to do with make/type/age of sound card/audio interface, nor location of the peers.
Are you sure everyone of you is using a true IPv4 address? (so no DSLite tunneling (IPv4 over IPv6))

Hi, Yes that is a sensible approach to debugging this thing. Thanks
so, a "fix" was discovered. Last week, we started a session and the same things occurred. At one point, I saw a windows error message saying something about my I/O samples. It went by quickly & I didn't get a chance to fully read it, but I thought, hmmm, maybe change my samples per buffer down from 64 to 32. That helped immensely. I had a few interruptions throughout the remaining 90 minutes, but far far better than before.