• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Packet Loss
I have been using JamKazam successfully to play wind quartets. All of us are using similar setups with a FOcusrite Scarlett solo gen 3. All of us on Windows 10. Two of us had 50 Mb connections, and 2 had 20 Mb connections. THings stopped working when our ISP reduced the upload rate on the 20MB connections to about 3 MB. SO we all upped to 50MB and expected the situation to get better. But is has not. We have plenty of bandwidth, but when I connect with one of the people who used to have the lower bandwidth I get packet loss from here, and a message that "Marnie Sier does not have sufficient band width to send sufficient quality audio". But, at the same time as she is failing to send me 300kbps for her audio, we can successfully turn on the video which is using 2000+ kpbs. So there is obviously bandwidth, but JKZ does not seem to want to use it. I have looked at the posts here and done things like disabling IPv6. But nothing seems to help. The audio gear is all marked as good. 4 ms latency. Does any body have any suggestions ?
(08-09-2020, 05:37 AM)geoff@illing.com.au Wrote: I have been using JamKazam successfully to play wind quartets. All of us are using similar setups with a FOcusrite Scarlett solo gen 3. All of us on Windows 10. Two of us had 50 Mb connections, and 2 had 20 Mb connections. THings stopped working when our ISP reduced the upload rate on the 20MB connections to about 3 MB. SO we all upped to 50MB and expected the situation to get better. But is has not. We have plenty of bandwidth, but when I connect with one of the people who used to have the lower bandwidth I get packet loss from here, and a message that "Marnie Sier does not have sufficient band width to send sufficient quality audio". But, at the same time as she is failing to send me 300kbps for her audio, we can successfully turn on the video which is using 2000+ kpbs. So there is obviously bandwidth, but JKZ does not seem to want to use it. I have looked at the posts here and done things like disabling IPv6. But nothing seems to help. The audio gear is all marked as good. 4 ms latency. Does any body have any suggestions ?

After a lot of work I have diagnosed this. The problem is entirely with the firmware in the modem. All of use are with Telstra as ISP in Australia. One has a Telstra supplied Netgear modem. One (me) has a Telstra Gateway Gen 2 modem manufactured by Arcadyan. The other two have modems that look basically identical to mine, but which are manufactured by Tehnicolor. Telstra push out updates to the firmware of the modems whenever they feel like it. The latest update to the Technicolor modems comes with the "it does not work" option. There are no settings that you can alter to make it work. But it has a log, and you can see that it is full of messages saying "protocol 8000 is buggy", then "expectation buffer full", then "call back skipped". The end result is that JKZ thinks it has send a UDP packet at their end, but it has been swallowed in the modem. Have verified that this is the problem by switching to use different modems. This has been made harder by the fact that we are in lockdown, and not allowed to travel except for essential needs, and no further than 5 km. Have not yet done the final distribution of modems, but hopefully will be playing music again this evening. Have had to resort Jamulus in the interim, but it is just not as good.