• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help w Steinberg UR44C - fails tests etc..
Great progress Bill! For the record, you have already shown more patience than most on this forum, by actually troubleshooting and correcting ISP hardware issues. My only other advice I would give you at this point is to try to go wired ethernet in your home if at all possible. Wi-Fi just doesn't provide consistent latency performance. It all-to-easily queues and buffers packets, sends them out of order, and other general misbehaving, all of which is unnoticeable during other Internet activities (although Skype/Zoom-type sessions will show it as occasional stutters, freezes, and pixelization of video feeds), but JK will suffer for sure. Even if there are no other active devices or participants on the WiFi, id;e devices will just spontaneously use bandwidth in bursts. And the bandwidth management settings (also known as "Quality of Service" (QoS)) can actually make things worse. Hope this helps
(08-11-2020, 05:29 PM)blandis Wrote: Great progress Bill!  For the record, you have already shown more patience than most on this forum, by actually troubleshooting and correcting ISP hardware issues.  My only other advice I would give you at this point is to try to go wired ethernet in your home if at all possible.  Wi-Fi just doesn't provide consistent latency  performance.  It all-to-easily queues and buffers packets, sends them out of order, and other general misbehaving, all of which is unnoticeable during other Internet activities (although Skype/Zoom-type sessions will show it as occasional stutters, freezes, and pixelization of video feeds), but JK will suffer for sure.  Even if there are no other active devices or participants on the WiFi, id;e devices will just spontaneously use bandwidth in bursts.  And the bandwidth management settings (also known as "Quality of Service" (QoS)) can actually make things worse.  Hope this helps

Actually I am using an ethernet connection for JK.   The fiber ethernet connection delivers about 860Mbps DL and frequently sags to about 450 Mbps DL at the house and at the street box. The advertised speed is 1000Mbps DL but you never actually get that. The ISP will have to address this.  the WIFI delivers about 22Mbps DL.  My 4 year old router has problems and I will replace it soon.  I'm considering a pricey 802.11ax router but to get that effectively I'll have to replace my comm board in my PC. After getting it replaced I'll do some testing on JK and see if the ethernet sags have significant impact.  Last I saw on the JK test was about 8ms.
Well, I think I've worked out all the kinks. ISP fixed the speed drops on the fiber connection. New Netgear router and after many hours working out the config issues (other computers/devices on network), I'm getting 900+Mbps on on either net connect up loads and down loads. Hopefully this level of performance will hold with no hiccups. Next step will be to connect all the audio gear, check latency, do some testing and then finally get going on JK.