• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video While Jamming
I've been using JK regularly for the last four to five months. I'm very familiar with all the requirements - wired, audio interface, etc. The last two months a group of nine of us have been jamming successfully every Saturday, all abiding by the rules. We are all within the same geographical area. We go for a couple hours with little latency and play and sing the songs we love. It's great fun and a nice substitute for when we all used to get together in a circle and sing these same songs. Here's the rub: There's no way video works with this. We've learned to keep video off until the end so we briefly can see each other to say "hello" and socialize a little. Without fail, soon the video causes the session to crash. Even before the crash, video doesn't work that well. Has this been the experience for mostly everyone? And, if so, does anyone know what the future holds for video during jamming?  Thanks, Doug

"Test Network" once told me that my internet connection can support 8 people in session, of which 4 with video.
Later (a few months ago) Peter Walker from JamKazam told that 7 is the recommended maximum in a session (nothing about video, on that occasion).

Each person typically receives about 0.4 MB of audio data per second from each of the other participants in a session. Video can be e.g. 2 MB per second.

If all 9 in your session use video in such a case, then each person consequently receives (or maybe rather try to) about 20 MB of data per second. It is relatively much - and demanding for the connections. No wonder sessions crash under such conditions.

NB: The transmission of audio and video data from each person varies greatly. From about 0.1 to about 0.5 MBPS audio data. And from about 0.2 to about 4 MBPS of video data.
My buds and I discovered recently that having video on significantly increases latency--you can hover over the red/yellow/green circle and watch 'Total Latency' drop within seconds of turning off video, and go back up when video is on. Average change is 8 to 10 ms. Bottom line: turn it off.
I acknowledge our number of participants is stretching the limit, and I am happily surprised it accommodates us. Even with half that number, though, we have found video does not work well.
I have been avoiding the use of video since I started with this .... but we were given a Challenge by the band leader —- that we get together with at least one other in the band and video a rehearsal of one of the band numbers to a backing track. So three of us did that last night - and for the first time turned the video on.

I have to say that i was amazed by it. We connected easily, were able to play through and record mixed audio and video for three numbers in an hour - more than we have managed before without the video. Audio quality on the video recording was also better than the mix track (no crackles).

I found it odd that the session owner got a different ‘save option dialog’ to the rest ... and was the only one able to save video.... all the others could only save video to YouTube (who on earth would want to do that???)
We were using the video for the past few months since the start of the pandemic, and although there were crashes, we could see each other for most of the 1-2 hr sessions. Now we find the audio quality is improved most of the time, except for one session with high static.

However, we can't use the video at all now, most of the time, we only see ourselves or a black screen. then once in a while the others will come on, but only for a moment, before the other's image is frozen or disappears.
We are a trio, but the 2 of us who live only 2miles apart, after the most recent updates, we really can't see the vdo anymore.

Any suggestions how to improve to be able to receive the vdo? please help recommend, thanks