• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this work from Boston to Texas?
My band is interested in using JamKazam, but before we make the attempt to set it all up - has anyone had success jamming across the country? I'm in Boston and trying to play with my bandmate in Texas. Or will there be too much latency regardless of how strong our network connections are?

The Youtube videos show people practicing with low latency - but it notes that they are all located in the same state..

Thanks in Advance! Big Grin

b34
(07-29-2020, 05:52 PM)b34 Wrote: My band is interested in using JamKazam, but before we make the attempt to set it all up - has anyone had success jamming across the country? I'm in Boston and trying to play with my bandmate in Texas. Or will there be too much latency regardless of how strong our network connections are?

The Youtube videos show people practicing with low latency - but it notes that they are all located in the same state..

Thanks in Advance! Big Grin

b34
>>>
Yes! It works from anywhere on the planet with a proper internet connection.
Unless you're really far apart, the latency will be acceptable.
Between the two of you, you will probably get a total latency somewhere between 30 and 60 milliseconds - provided audio interface latency is low (below 5 or so)

Whether it is too much latency depends on different conditions; expectations, habituation, type of music (tempo, looseness ...) ...

Many people play daily successfully with total latency 30-60 milliseconds.
Yes, up to 100 even (sic!)

Total latency - JamKazam language usage:

20 and below is called GOOD - and the dot in session is green.

Between 20 and 35 is called FAIR - and the dot is yellow.

Between 35 and 50 is called POOR - and the dot is red.

Over 50 is called UNACCEPTABLE - and the dot is red

Latency / delay demonstration:

Two metronome clicks start at the same time. One of the clicks is gradually delayed compared to the other.

At the end after approx. 27 seconds, the delay is about 110 milliseconds.

Then it is all repeated, but this time in stereo with the two clicks in each channel.

At about 3 seconds after the clicks start, the delay is about 10 milliseconds - after which a average human should be able to hear the delay.

> https://soundcloud.com/user851807875/pub...tly-better
An additional consideration on latency is that it can vary, a lot. Whereas in the Soundcloud demonstration above, the latency varies slowly over time, often in real use the latency between musicians can vary dramatically from one second to the next, even one network packet to the next. This is the "jitter". An easy analogy would be what traffic you would experience between Boston and Texas. Your audio information, flowing as packets over the internet, experience congestion and delays along the way, just like driving there does. There is an expected travel time (latency) plus or minus traffic you may experience (jitter). This jitter can be difficult to deal with, as we perceive it as being unable to jam together to a consistent beat. Personal tolerance of it, which is individual and/or subjective, is what matters.
Hope this helps,