• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto throttle settings could make jitter worse?
  • Probably not related but I wonder what auto throttle on the Audio Booster page is doing to the flow of data out into the internet.  Could it affect jitter ( also known as buffer bloat)?It's interesting that setting auto throttle on the network packet size grays out the individual choices but auto throttle on the bit rate doesn't gray out the individual bit rate choices.... I'm getting good latency now on the 1 millisecond experimental frame rate choice but when I used that a few weeks ago it Interfered with playing back jam tracks or my own audio files.... Other musicians in the session we're hearing Interference but they didn't hear that at 2.5
Using Line 6 Helix or Roland Session Mixer as audio interface
Hello. The instructors I work with get better latency with 1 or 2ms. However, a few of them also get static and I have to move them back to 2.5 or 5ms and it seems to go away.
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park
(07-29-2020, 12:19 PM)LVanarsdall Wrote: Hello. The instructors I work with get better latency with 1 or 2ms. However, a few of them also get static and I have to move them back to 2.5 or 5ms and it seems to go away.
Yes.   I'm actually focusing here on the settings on the Audio Booster page, in the top of that screen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-29-2020, 12:44 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 12:19 PM)LVanarsdall Wrote: Hello. The instructors I work with get better latency with 1 or 2ms. However, a few of them also get static and I have to move them back to 2.5 or 5ms and it seems to go away.
Yes.   I'm actually focusing here on the settings on the Audio Booster page, in the top of that screen.
Thank you for including that screen shot. Where I have most of the instructors set at is 128Kbit/sec and 2ms. If there is still some latency I want to try to reduce, I move it to 1ms. At some point the instructors may start to hear static during a session. I try to jump on the session and we first determine the source of the static. I then make sure it isn't the mic or a cable or a volume setting causing the static. The next thing I do is go right to the audio booster. I then start to take them up one step on the Audio frame rate. If nothing changes after to steps up, I then move the bitrate up one. If nothing improves, I move the frame rate up one step. If that doesn't work I move the bitrate up one. If your mic stops working, you have moved the frame rate up too high. Once the distortion goes away, I then have the instructor move the bitrate down one step. If the instructor likes the result, we stop. I have had good success with that so far.
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park
(07-29-2020, 02:14 PM)LVanarsdall Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 12:44 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote:
Thank you for including that screen shot. Where I have most of the instructors set at is 128Kbit/sec and 2ms. If there is still some latency I want to try to reduce, I move it to 1ms. At some point the instructors may start to hear static during a session. I try to jump on the session and we first determine the source of the static. I then make sure it isn't the mic or a cable or a volume setting causing the static. The next thing I do is go right to the audio booster. I then start to take them up one step on the Audio frame rate. If nothing changes after to steps up, I then move the bitrate up one. If nothing improves, I move the frame rate up one step. If that doesn't work I move the bitrate up one. If your mic stops working, you have moved the frame rate up too high. Once the distortion goes away, I then have the instructor move the bitrate down one step. If the instructor likes the result, we stop. I have had good success with that so far.

Thanks.  As far as jitter, I got the following response on a DSLReports networking page
Jitter refers to audio processing and has nothing to do with networking. Your screenshot shows jitter as it pertains to your audio interface.

https://samplerateconverter.com/educatio...tter-audio[url=https://samplerateconverter.com/educational/jitter-audio][/url]