• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a AKG Lyra with windows and JamKazam
Hello. One of the microphone/audio interfaces I would like to recommend to students and teachers is the AKG Lyra. 
      You can connect it via USB-C (though it comes with a USB-C to "regular" USB cable. You plug your headset into the bottom of the mic. There is a headset control, a gain control, a mute button. Another feature that I like is that the mic has 4 capsules with a dial that allows you to have 4 different settings; Front, front and back, tight stereo (front) wide stereo (front and back). You can use it right out of the box. Lastly, it just looks cool and I know the students and teachers will love it.
       My challenge is that although you can plug it into the Mac and it works right out of the box, the same is not true for Windows. Has anyone had any success getting a AKG Lyra to work with JamKazam on a windows machine?
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park
Lee, I'm new to Jazkazam and I can not get Jazkazam software to recognize my audio interface. The computer system does but Jazkazam doesn't. I'm using Roland Duo-Capture Ex on windows 10. Is the interface too old or out of date, or have I missed a box to check somewhere?
Roland Duo-Capture Ex is probably 9-10 years old !?

But it should still be able to work with JamKazam, I would guess ...

In another thread, blandis asks you which driver, etc. you are using.
It is probably good and necessary to provide us with that information

Roland Duo-Capture
https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=1318
It is 9 yrs old. I'm good with buying a new interface, I just want to be sure it's not a computer or set up issue on my part first.
I'm running windows 10, 64 bit, system says I'm running 1.03 driver version on Roland.
I was able to finesse ASIO4ALL to make it work and it gives me hope for using other USB mics. ASIO4ALL can work well, but you have to know and understand its limitations. When setting up the device and when using it during a session, JamKazam can be the only device that it using it. If the mic or headset doesn't work, open up the ASIO panel. If either the "in" or the "out" or the entire device has a red "x", it will not work.
    The most likely culprit is that another app is using audio. You need to press Ctrl/Alt/Delete and open task manager. It turns out for me WebEx Teams grabbed audio when it is open. When I closed out that application, I could use the microphone and listen with my headset from the output jack .
      Also, ASIO4ALL uses the same port as GS wavetable  and will not function correctly if there is a conflict. Right click on Start and select Device Manager. Click on View menu and click on Show hidden devices.Expand Software devices.Right click on Microsoft GS wavetable Synth and select Disable device and click Yes to confirm the action. Reboot the computer.
As it has been said elsewhere, Remove “Exclusive mode”: Go to Control Panel/ Hardware and Sound/ Sound. Then, double-click on Speakers/ Advanced. In this box, uncheck exclusive mode. If you have several devices listed, you will need to do this for each of them. I have discovered that if you don't do this, other apps may grab your microphone or webcam and it won't be available to use with JamKazam.
      This is what has worked for me so far. I am sure there are other fixes. Closing out all other application except for JamKazam may be a burdon for others, but my music students and teachers will not mind at all. We did a test on our very fast wired network here at school and the internet latency was zero! The teachers who participated felt they had a real interactive experience and now feel all the time they had spent trying to sort the application out was worthwhile. I took a big sigh of relief as well....
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park
(07-15-2020, 02:13 PM)tmiddle Wrote: Lee, I'm new to Jazkazam and I can not get Jazkazam software to recognize my audio interface. The computer system does but Jazkazam doesn't. I'm using Roland Duo-Capture Ex on windows 10. Is the interface too old or out of date, or have I missed a box to check somewhere?
Yes... My experience has been that older audio interfaces have problems with JK due to the out of date ASIO drivers they use. Just get a modern interface and driver... Prosonus Audiobox USB 96 is a good one and it's less than $100.
(07-15-2020, 09:37 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 02:13 PM)tmiddle Wrote: Lee, I'm new to Jazkazam and I can not get Jazkazam software to recognize my audio interface. The computer system does but Jazkazam doesn't. I'm using Roland Duo-Capture Ex on windows 10. Is the interface too old or out of date, or have I missed a box to check somewhere?
Yes... My experience has been that older audio interfaces have problems with JK due to the out of date ASIO drivers they use. Just get a modern interface and driver... Prosonus Audiobox USB 96 is a good one and it's less than $100.
I think you're correct.  It finally identified it, after reconnecting a thousand times.  When I went to configure it would not run with the ASIO drivers, it would only run with WDM.  At least it connected, I know it's not me or the computer and I'll get a new interface.