• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to run current installer for Windows
All,

I had previously installed JamKazam and tried to set up a usable configuration (prior to latest update).

Originally (maybe 6-8 weeks ago?) I was able to install, create an account, etc. However, was not able to create a working configuration.

I have greatly increased the wired network speed to the PC I am using and have plugged in PreSonus 26 audio interface.

I am confident that I should be able to set up a working configuration now - However, now I can't install the new version of the program.

Initially - I get a message that Windows Defender has protected me (against running the msi package). Then, if I direct it to open anyway - it says "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package".

Is there a know issue with the current Windows Installer package? Or?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
-Paul
(07-13-2020, 10:34 PM)Paul_in_KC Wrote: All,

I had previously installed JamKazam and tried to set up a usable configuration (prior to latest update).

Originally (maybe 6-8 weeks ago?) I was able to install, create an account, etc. However, was not able to create a working configuration.

I have greatly increased the wired network speed to the PC I am using and have plugged in PreSonus 26 audio interface.

I am confident that I should be able to set up a working configuration now - However, now I can't install the new version of the program.

Initially - I get a message that Windows Defender has protected me (against running the msi package). Then, if I direct it to open anyway - it says "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package".

Kind Regards,
-Paul
No issues I'm aware of. Sounds like the MSI executable you download got corrupted. Have you tried downloading it again?
(07-14-2020, 09:32 PM)StuartR Wrote:

Kind Regards,
-Paul
No issues I'm aware of. Sounds like the MSI executable you download got corrupted. Have you tried downloading it again?
Many times.  Sad
(07-14-2020, 09:38 PM)Paul_in_KC Wrote:

Kind Regards,
-Paul
Many times.  Sad
Time to let Windows reinstall itself from scratch. It's an option in the boot menu... You can select whether to keep your user data or not. I've done this... Works wonders; just a few clicks and it's done in less than half an hour.
(07-15-2020, 09:28 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 09:38 PM)Paul_in_KC Wrote:

Kind Regards,
-Paul
Many times.  Sad
Time to let Windows reinstall itself from scratch. It's an option in the boot menu... You can select whether to keep your user data or not. I've done this... Works wonders; just a few clicks and it's done in less than half an hour.

StuartR,

Thanks for that suggestion.

This is actually a new PC (less than a three months old). Not that new PCs can't have problems. But I'll try downloading and installing on my laptop just to test the concept. I'm fairly sure that I have already done that - but will post the results.

If I am able to install (JamKazam) on my notebook - then I'll consider re-installing Windows on my desktop.

If no one else is having this issue - I suspect it probably has something to do with my security software (Bitdefender) and since I have no way to know how safe the JamKazam installation package (and software) is - I'm not inclined to disable all security / protection measures to install.

I'll let you know how it goes on my notebook.

Thanks again.
 -Paul
Okay - it was in fact my security software (Bitdefender) that was preventing the installer from being able to run.
So, for anyone running Bitdefender (and perhaps similar). I had to "White-list" the URL of the installer package.
That is: "https://d34f55ppvvtgi3.cloudfront.net/artifacts/JamClient/Win32/1.0.3794/JamKazam-1.0.3794.msi" (for Windows 10).
NOTE: I only had to create that exception for the install. Afterwards - I deleted the exception and ran a security scan.
The console app seems to run and Bitdefender didn't detect any threats afterward.
Now - on with creating a usable configuration and trying to use the app.
Hi all,

We've gotten enough reports of this that we decided to contact BitDefender. Apparently, they have a page where anyone can submit that a link is a false positive:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/sup...wer/40673/

I'm contacting them to also double-check that future releases won't get 'dinged'.
(01-09-2021, 02:42 PM)Jamkazam Wrote: Hi all,

We've gotten enough reports of this that we decided to contact BitDefender.  Apparently, they have a page where anyone can submit that a link is a false positive:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/sup...wer/40673/

I'm contacting them to also double-check that future releases won't get 'dinged'.

I found this response on my post from July (which I resolved by whitelisting the URL for the installer).

For what it's worth, I haven't had any update issues since (even though I have deleted the exception that created initially).
-Paul