• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Network Latency - unsable?
My friend and I just started using JamKazam. We both have UMC 202 devices, successfully set up. I have a Windows laptop with downloaded UMC Driver, she has a MAC using built-in MAC drivers. We have tried several sessions together, and while can connect and hear (and chat, etc) - the music (even just one line input guitar) is unusable. It has significant latency and also some noise. We can each record separately locally through JamKazam on our own gear and that works fine. 

While our Audio latency is generally green (occasionally a bit yellow)  ---  It Seems our network latency is "red" ( around 36-40 ms). 

We have both run speedtest and have upwards of 80Mbps download, and about 10 Mbps Upload, from ewach of our Cable modem based providers respectively.

We have tried setting different output bit rates, and frame sizes - none of which has helped.

Even just one DI guitar is noticeably latent & distorted when heard at the other end of the network. Recordings clearly show this

What to do?

Thanks for your help,

Jared
(06-27-2020, 09:45 PM)jrlsaustin@gmail.com Wrote: My friend and I just started using JamKazam. We both have UMC 202 devices, successfully set up. I have a Windows laptop with downloaded UMC Driver, she has a MAC using built-in MAC drivers. We have tried several sessions together, and while can connect and hear (and chat, etc) - the music (even just one line input guitar) is unusable. It has significant latency and also some noise. We can each record separately locally through JamKazam on our own gear and that works fine. 

While our Audio latency is generally green (occasionally a bit yellow)  ---  It Seems our network latency is "red" ( around 36-40 ms). 

We have both run speedtest and have upwards of 80Mbps download, and about 10 Mbps Upload, from ewach of our Cable modem based providers respectively.

We have tried setting different output bit rates, and frame sizes - none of which has helped.

Even just one DI guitar is noticeably latent & distorted when heard at the other end of the network. Recordings clearly show this

What to do?

Thanks for your help,

Jared
The Internet latency you're experiencing isn't that bad and isn't usually related to the bandwidth you have. The problem may lie in the settings on your Windows laptop. Be sure it's not on battery power... You must run it plugged in for maximum processor performance. Also most Windows machines require tuning steps to enable them to handle realtime audio without dropouts. See below for a great reference:

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
That GlitchFree document is surely amazing work