• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solo and Mute
I have two requests:
1.Please can you provide a Solo option (this will make it easier to focus on the chords someone is playing, and make it easier to identify the source of strange noises).
2. Please make it harder to mute people (often when I attempt to change the volume of a particular player I end up muting them).
Thanks
Squid
1. What is a "Solo option"?

2. That's not reason enough.
Then you could keep making it more difficult in other areas.
Should it also be harder to leave the session?
Many people accidentally press the "Leave" button
I think i understand the request and agree with them.

1.Please can you provide a Solo option (this will make it easier to focus on the chords someone is playing, and make it easier to identify the source of strange noises).

The same feature we have on a mixing board. Solo, would MUTE all other players in the session, and allow you hear only the one player you click Solo for. Makes sense

2. Please make it harder to mute people (often when I attempt to change the volume of a particular player I end up muting them).

Yup, i get it. Here's a Tip, i use to help me from accidentally muting others. Instead of Clicking on their volume slider, the mouse-over itself will display the volume slider and you can safely adjust the volume without muting it. It looks like the default click is to Mute channel
I also understand the requests.
Both, now. Maybe ...
But I'm not in favor of request 2 as it is.

The mute function is basically as it should be - no good reasons to change it.
But if it is possible to add a configuration option of the mute function, then it could be a solution.
I agree with those two requests too.

‘Solo’ is a common feature in DAWs to quickly isolate everything else and concentrate on one track ... the control for it should be a simple toggle - with ‘un-solo’ setting you back to where you were before clicking ‘solo’.

I completely agree with the comments about ‘muting’ too ...... even though I know ‘not to click’ on that speaker icon, it is still the most obvious thing to do. Also the ‘very small x’ is too difficult to see (on the black background .....) so - ‘easy to do’, ‘difficult to spot’ and ‘has a high impact’ ... that just made it the worse possible risk using std analysis.
From a non-technical point of view, it is in general bad behavior to mute people. Of course there are exceptions, but ...

It cannot be directly compared to "dead" tracks in an audio editor.

To mute living people is generally disguisting - I think

If you don't want to listen to people in a session, I think you should leave the session and find another place to stay.

Or simply tell people that they are now being thrown out because of the need for calm.

It would be something more friendly than muting them.
(06-21-2020, 11:32 AM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: From a non-technical point of view, it is in general bad behavior to mute people. Of course there are exceptions, but ...

If you don't want to listen to people in a session, I think you should leave the session and find another place to stay.

Or simply tell people that they are now being thrown out because of the need for calm.

Solo is good as a tool to isolate someone if they have a noisy connection.  I actively use the mixer to balance all my sessions and it would be useful tool to use while balancing mainly because it is not always clear what instrument someone is playing.  Sometimes people have electric guitar, but are playing bass, etc.
(07-14-2020, 09:50 PM)frank visconti Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 11:32 AM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: From a non-technical point of view, it is in general bad behavior to mute people. Of course there are exceptions, but ...

Solo is good as a tool to isolate someone if they have a noisy connection.  I actively use the mixer to balance all my sessions and it would be useful tool to use while balancing mainly because it is not always clear what instrument someone is playing.  Sometimes people have electric guitar, but are playing bass, etc.
The request was actually to make it ‘slightly less easy to accidentally mute others’ ..... its the usability of the UI that was being discussed.

There are several other posts discussing the etiquette on muting or not ..... but the function is definitely required at least by the session owner to enable the rejection of some who crash onto sessions just to spoil them - very sad but it has happened & will continue.