• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to JamKazam and no audio even on setup
Hi
I've just tried to set up JamKazam using a Focusrite Scarlett 616. I can see that signal is going in and latency is fair but when I click the play button - nothing.  I'm going into a MacBook Air Retina 2016 - is this a known problem?  I can get no sound on playback at all.
Like many others I'm experiencing a degree of frustration!
can you record into Garage Band or other application using the 6i6?

what "play" button are you pressing? is this during the setup/test process?

do you hear yourself from the 6i6 when you are direct monitoring?
(06-02-2020, 10:31 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: can you record into Garage Band or other application using the 6i6?

what "play" button are you pressing? is this during the setup/test process?

do you hear yourself from the 6i6 when you are direct monitoring?
Thanks.  I haven't installed Garage Band but I can hear myself from the 616 when recording a voice memo.  The 'play' button was during the setup/test and it produced no sound.  Nor does the metronome, so I think the problem is with JamKazam's audio out rather than my 616.
For your benefit, it would help if you can walk us through exactly how you set up your Audio Device in JamKazam. I agree with the question, "play button". There is no play button in the session window. And, since you are not hearing anything else, suggests something is up with your setup.
Ok, I've just gone through it again with the same result. Everything looks fine except there's no audio on output. Here are the steps:
1) I deleted the 616 and reconfigured it. I followed all the video instructions about setting audio booster to minimise latency and my gear got a green light.
2) I then followed the remaining steps in audio gear setup. At step 5 I made sure to turn the 616 monitor knob fully to USB. In the middle of the screen is a button marked 'play', below text that tells you '...click the play button below. If you hear the audio correctly your settings are correct...' That's the button I pressed. I could hear nothing.
3) I tapped the mic and could see signal going in to the 616 but no sound coming out.
4) Then I clicked 'next' and finished setup. I then opened a session and could see my gear under 'my live tracks'. Under session diagnostics all the lights were green. But when I clicked on record I could hear nothing.
5) Maybe I'm doing something wrong at the audio out stage. I've tried setting the 6161 as the device for sound output- no joy. Then I tried headphones as the device - again nothing.

That's as far as I can get. It seems to me there's some incompatibility between JamKazam and my Mac. Before I had the 616 I tried the set up with the built in mic and got the same results.
If anyone has had this problem or a similar one with the MacBook Air Retina 2016 I'd appreciate hearing if there's a solution.

Charlie

I've now downloaded the Focusrite Control app and can see signal when I click 'play' at step 5 of audio gear setup.  But I still can't hear anything. 

So
  • I know that signal is going in to the Scarlett 616
  • I know that JamKazam is generating signal
  • I know that the 616 outputs are showing signal on the Control app

But no sound from the Mac

What am I doing wrong?
I use a Macbook Air from 2017 (running Catalina) with JK, so I know your computer is compatible. I also have an old MB Pro from 2012 running El Capitan, also works with JK.

You saw green dots from JK when setting up your 6i6, which means that the interface is recognized correctly.

For my Focusrite Saffire Pro14, I must set the output device to the main outs (1 & 2) otherwise I don't hear any output. This is partly becuase the default headphone output is a mirror of the mains.

The interface is controlled by the Mix Control software. Do you have that running? It lets you control your monitor functions (input control is on the unit, in hardware). I keep my mix control running all the time - it lets me see what is happening wit the interface regardless of what other software I have open.

Focusrite bundles Abelton Lite - I recommend try that, or Garageband, to verify you can hear audio from the 6i6 before giving up on JamKazam
(06-03-2020, 09:33 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: I use a Macbook Air from 2017 (running Catalina) with JK, so I know your computer is compatible. I also have an old MB Pro from 2012 running El Capitan, also works with JK.

You saw green dots from JK when setting up your 6i6, which means that the interface is recognized correctly.

For my Focusrite Saffire Pro14, I must set the output device to the main outs (1 & 2) otherwise I don't hear any output. This is partly becuase the default headphone output is a mirror of the mains.

The interface is controlled by the Mix Control software. Do you have that running? It lets you control your monitor functions (input control is on the unit, in hardware). I keep my mix control running all the time - it lets me see what is happening wit the interface regardless of what other software I have open.

Focusrite bundles Abelton Lite - I recommend try that, or Garageband, to verify you can hear audio from the 6i6 before giving up on JamKazam
Thanks.  I'm about to reinstall Garageband, though I managed to record using Voice Memo last night, so I know that signal is reaching my Mac.

I've just tried tweaking the Mix Control - I assume you mean on JamKazam?  It shows signal on output as well as input - but still no audio on the Mac.
I also can't seem to activate record - when I click on record I see a red button but when I click on it nothing changes.
Try going to Security and Privacy. Go to Privacy - select Microphone, then make sure Jamkazam is checked
>>>
Hi Charlie,

Annoying not to be able to get it going.
Now, from your two times remark "no sound/audio on/from the mac", I'm under the impression you are expecting your mac speakers/headphone output to give you your JKZ return audio signal?
If so, that is not how the signal is supposed to flow. Your headphones should be attached to the headphones output of your Focusrite.
In JKZ you choose your Focusrite as both input and output device.

And do bear in mind that you will only hear your 6i6's output when either in 'audio gear setup [play] test' or when 'in a session' - when everything is setup correctly, so 'local monitoring' switched off. (USB playback only)

NB - the 'record' button is rather nondescript in its functioning. It will record - when pushed in a session - and save its results when 'stopped'. It is not however, any means of testing your success in setting up your gear.
I don't have the Focusritet... but think it was a good idea to install the App for it. The part of your step about clicking Record when you're in the session is confusing. I know you're trying to figure it out and perhaps it will be good to know, when you get this working (and you will), your Audio comes on the moment after enter the session. There is no need for your to click anything.

I'm still on Sierra and don't have to deal with the privacy settings, but maybe that's it. I agree, check those settings out and for JK, to make sure there are no restrictions.

Thanks for your details