• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange audio when talking and playing
My friend and I managed to get a session working last night for the first time.  We noticed some things and I wanted to post them here for discussion.

When talking to one another, the audio starts to get odd.  My friend slowly starts to sound like he's someone else with a different accent.  That's the best way I can describe it.  It seriously started to sound like he had a Finish accent!  Then, one of us pressed the Resync button and he is back to normal for a few seconds and then it slowly elongates again.  Is this some technique used to compensate for the latency?  Can someone please explain to me what's going on?

Does it auto-sync at some point or are we forced always to press the resync button from time to time?  It seems like if there's some silence, this might be a good time to automatically resync.

When playing, we tried playing on the metronome.  I admit I'm not used to playing with a metronome but we are in the habit of playing with someone on a drum, but what both of us noticed was that we kept getting out of sync with the metronome.  We chock this up to lack of practice.  But when we didn't have the metronome in the background, we still kept slowing down.  Something he and I don't do when we're in person!  Again, are we getting tripped up by the latency compensation?

At a geek level, can someone explain to me what goes on at the network level?  Is JamKazam trying to set up a p2p connection l like the old Skype used to do?  Or is everything run through some server?  There seem to be lots of connections to different IP addresses, is there some server that is close to me and that's what it tries to use?
After some more playing with JamKazam, I am impressed.

I am still trying to figure out how to deal with the slight delay between us but we seem to manage.

At a geek level, yes, JamKazam is setting up a p2p connection directly between me and the other people in the session. For us, who are both in London, the latency is slightly noticeable.

However, still, we keep needing to press the resync button on both ends frequently. Noise somehow builds up and the voice is slightly distorted. Once you press the resync button, it clears things up for a short time and then it gradually comes back. Is there some setting that might help this?