• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JK keeps resetting Presonus buffer size to 16
(12-19-2020, 09:48 PM)Terles Wrote: If you have a DAW, open it and set your buffer size there, then run JamKazam and it should stick to what you set in the DAW.  What do you have your Outgoing Bitrate set to (under Manage/ Audio Settings/ Audio Frame size)?  The higher that number, the better your audio quality.
I tried 2 different DAWs, one of the Reaper. Did not help. Each time JK started the buffer size went back to 16. If I change the buffer to something while JK is running JK shows a little message in the System Tray to the effect of "re-initalizing audio device" and the buffer is once again reset to 16.

I saw another report where someone had a similar situation with a different brand audio interface except in that case the buffer kept being reset to a very large size. Makes me suspect that JK might not specify a buffer size but does issue a "reset request" and the drivers do what they are programmed to do in that case. Reaper even has an option to "ignore reset requests" but it made no difference.
Here is another thread with same issue.

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=343
ASIO4ALL is a windows program that provides an ASIO wrapper around a WDM driver.

PreSonus already has an ASIO driver optimized for latency.

The issue is that JK issues some type of "reset" or "initialize" call to the audio device when entering a session and that causes the buufer to be set to 16 regardless of what it had been set to before. When in a session I can bring up the "ASIO Control Panel" which invokes the proper GUI, change it back to a higher number - then JK recognizes this and issues a "initializing audio device" and the buffer size is reset once again to 16 right before my eyes.

Don't know if the problem is PreSonus driver not responding to the reset request properly or if JK is not calling it properly or if JK should be calling it at all. Bottom line is that a number of PreSonus owners (search the forums) are having this problem with JK.

Please don't cloud the issue and respond "buffer size of 16 should be fine". First of all it's not - at least not with recent JK releases and these PreSonus boxes. Second, it does not address the problem - namely that buffer size keeps being reset to 16 regardless of what I would like it to be.

I can use these boxes with a DAW (have used 3 different ones) and the buffer size is left alone where I set it.
(12-19-2020, 04:29 AM)SammerJammer Wrote: Two different computers/audio-interfaces with the same problem.

1. Windows 7-64bit with Presonus USB 96
2. Windows 8.1 64-biti with Presonus Studio 26c

Using the Presonus ASIO control program called Universal Control (UC) I set the block size (Presonus's term for buffer size) to 128 (or 256, or whatever).

As soon as I go into JK and start/enter a session the block size is reset to 16. 16 is too small for good audio performance.

I tried to downgrade the Presonus Universal Control and driver to an earlier version but the later one won't uninstall completely - it looks like it uninstalled but when I then install and older version and start it and check the "about" is still lists the later version and the begavior hasn't changed.

I 'could' rewind Windows back to a pristine state (though I'd lose some stuff) and then install the older program and driver (which I believe worked correctly with JK) but I'd like to not have to do this.

I don't understand why JK keeps resetting the block(buffer) size.

Any ideas?

Thanks
One person's workaround solution here...
https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=1347
(12-29-2020, 05:55 PM)Terles Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 04:29 AM)SammerJammer Wrote: Two different computers/audio-interfaces with the same problem.

Using the Presonus ASIO control program called Universal Control (UC) I set the block size (Presonus's term for buffer size) to 128 (or 256, or whatever).

As soon as I go into JK and start/enter a session the block size is reset to 16. 16 is too small for good audio performance.

I tried to downgrade the Presonus Universal Control and driver to an earlier version but the later one won't uninstall completely - it looks like it uninstalled but when I then install and older version and start it and check the "about" is still lists the later version and the begavior hasn't changed.

I 'could' rewind Windows back to a pristine state (though I'd lose some stuff) and then install the older program and driver (which I believe worked correctly with JK) but I'd like to not have to do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
First off - this is a mistake by JK. I understand their 'utopian' vision where the program will do everything for you but unfortunately this one misses the mark and the lowest latency often results in inconsistent or unacceptable audio quality. I shouldn't have to try all these crazy workaounds.

I have tried this exact workaround with 3 different DAWs. JK still resets the buffers. I have not yet tried Ableton Live. I shouldn't have to do this and will probably not. What should happen: JK should look at this issue, satisfy themselves that it is problematic for some users, and correct it. All other software and streaming platforms I have tried work with ASIO as expected and JK should as well. PreSonus and Behringer and Focusrite sell thousands and thousands of devices - JK should do what it can to give owners of these devices satisfactory service.

Even an option like would be good:
[] Use your preferred buffer size (may not result in lowest possible latency)
[] Let JamKazam select optimal buffer size (may result in audio degradation)

Sonobus queries the device for available buffer sizes and offers a dropdown to select the one you want. Latency is constantly displayed so you can both see the latency effect and hear the audio quality of your selection. JK could do the same thing - i.e. display avaiilable buffer sizes and allow user to select.
(12-29-2020, 06:35 PM)SammerJammer Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 05:55 PM)Terles Wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks
First off - this is a mistake by JK. I understand their 'utopian' vision where the program will do everything for you but unfortunately this one misses the mark and the lowest latency often results in inconsistent or unacceptable audio quality. I shouldn't have to try all these crazy workaounds.

I have tried this exact workaround with 3 different DAWs. JK still resets the buffers. I have not yet tried Ableton Live. I shouldn't have to do this and will probably not. What should happen: JK should look at this issue, satisfy themselves that it is problematic for some users, and correct it. All other software and streaming platforms I have tried work with ASIO as expected and JK should as well. PreSonus and Behringer and Focusrite sell thousands and thousands of devices - JK should do what it can to give owners of these devices satisfactory service.

Even an option like would be good:
[] Use your preferred buffer size (may not result in lowest possible latency)
[] Let JamKazam select optimal buffer size (may result in audio degradation)

Sonobus queries the device for available buffer sizes and offers a dropdown to select the one you want. Latency is constantly displayed so you can both see the latency effect and hear the audio quality of your selection. JK could do the same thing - i.e. display avaiilable buffer sizes and allow user to select.
I had something like this happen, but in reverse.  I actually found the ONLY way to get my buffer size to "stick" (at 16, which I was trying for), was to set the frame size to 2.5, with a sample rate at 64000.  Anywhere else and it would reset it back to 128 or another value.  Afterwards, while in a session, I was able to reset the frame size back to 1 msec  and the buffer size stayed at 16 - go figure!  I think that the secret is first finding a frame size & sample rate combo  that allows JK to keep whatever buffer size you set, then adjusting frame size afterwards.  I know it's a trial and error method, & it took me a while to go through all combinations of sample rates & frame sizes (well. I only used 48000 & 96000 sample rates, and 1, 2, 2.5. 5. & 10 msec frame sizes) to find the spot where the buffer size would stick.    Another idea to try, while doing your audio set-up, you can still access the frame size panel, IIRC.  Set that high enough to get a bad latency check which may allow you to change your buffer size as others have reported doing so by getting their computer running at max.  If neither of these help, I'm out of ideas, outside of making a request to support to enable your suggestion above.  Good luck.