• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starlink Update
Hi folks,
Just a quick update, as I am now seeing people posting their initial experiences with StarLink, SpaceX's satellite-based Internet service.  This large (but eventually huge) constellation of "Low Earth Orbiting" (LEO) satellites is providing a beta service now, and in a YouTube video a subscriber posted his Internet SpeedTest results:
https://youtu.be/h0Itx_TUOKA
In the video the subscriber, who lives in a rural part in North America with limited Internet options, achieved decent download and upload speeds (compared to his terrestrial Internet provider), but it is important to note the ping delay, which was 38ms, resulting from the transmit time of his radio signal up to the connected satellite several hundred miles up (they operate at different altitudes, but most are 550 km (340 mi) up), the laser "crosslink" communication path to most likely to many satellites, and then the downlink to the Starlink ground station, where the signal then enters terrestrial Internet comm lines to the destination of the ping test, and all the way back to complete the round-trip latency of the ping test.  This value, which to me is surprisingly good for a satellite link, would not yield a good JamKazam experience, as the total JK latency would be this plus each players' local latency, probably yielding total's in the mid-to high 40's or higher.  Furthermore, as the service rolls out and there is more user traffic, the Starlink latency may actually get worse, due to traffic congestion processing in the system.
Hope this helps,
(11-20-2020, 07:19 PM)blandis Wrote: Hi folks,
Just a quick update, as I am now seeing people posting their initial experiences with StarLink, SpaceX's satellite-based Internet service.  This large (but eventually huge) constellation of "Low Earth Orbiting" (LEO) satellites is providing a beta service now, and in a YouTube video a subscriber posted his Internet SpeedTest results:
https://youtu.be/h0Itx_TUOKA
In the video the subscriber, who lives in a rural part in North America with limited Internet options, achieved decent download and upload speeds (compared to his terrestrial Internet provider), but it is important to note the ping delay, which was 38ms, resulting from the transmit time of his radio signal up to the connected satellite several hundred miles up (they operate at different altitudes, but most are 550 km (340 mi) up), the laser "crosslink" communication path to most likely to many satellites, and then the downlink to the Starlink ground station, where the signal then enters terrestrial Internet comm lines to the destination of the ping test, and all the way back to complete the round-trip latency of the ping test.  This value, which to me is surprisingly good for a satellite link, would not yield a good JamKazam experience, as the total JK latency would be this plus each players' local latency, probably yielding total's in the mid-to high 40's or higher.  Furthermore, as the service rolls out and there is more user traffic, the Starlink latency may actually get worse, due to traffic congestion processing in the system.
Hope this helps,
Some of us would be glad to get in the 40 msec latency range. Starlink is promising latency values in the 20 msec range (and I believe that's what they told the FCC} so .we'll have to wait and see. The user videos I watched showed Pings as low as 27 msecs (and higher of course).