• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to use JK with an RF connection to ISP?
My friend and I have been jumping through so many hoops in order to try to use JK, to no avail.

He lives roughly 150 miles from me in the desert.  The first issue we had was that his ISP only provided a private IP address.  He would be able to get the necessary public IP address, but only after spending several hundred dollars for the ISP to upgrade their equipment.

But even if that is done, he is now realizing another issue - he receives his signal from the ISP via an RF antenna.  The ISP's transponder is about 3 miles away.

We're aware that it's recommended to use an ethernet connection of the computer to the home router, as WiFi would add too much latency.

I know this may be an obscure question, but does anyone have any idea if the encoding & decoding of the RF signal would have the same effect as trying to use WiFI?  We'd like to get a handle on this before spending any money.

Thanks!
I reckon this will depend upon the amount of packet/protocol overhead necessary to maintain the RF link.
A ping test should give some clues.
Chris Muriel,
 Manchester, UK
(07-03-2020, 07:08 PM)G3ZDM Wrote: I reckon this will depend upon the amount of packet/protocol overhead necessary to maintain the RF link.
A ping test should give some clues.
Thank you for the response, I didn't expect to hear back from anyone.

I wasn't aware of ping tests, I see several sites I can try.
(07-02-2020, 08:14 PM)bonehead Wrote: My friend and I have been jumping through so many hoops in order to try to use JK, to no avail.

He lives roughly 150 miles from me in the desert.  The first issue we had was that his ISP only provided a private IP address.  He would be able to get the necessary public IP address, but only after spending several hundred dollars for the ISP to upgrade their equipment.

But even if that is done, he is now realizing another issue - he receives his signal from the ISP via an RF antenna.  The ISP's transponder is about 3 miles away.

We're aware that it's recommended to use an ethernet connection of the computer to the home router, as WiFi would add too much latency.

I know this may be an obscure question, but does anyone have any idea if the encoding & decoding of the RF signal would have the same effect as trying to use WiFI?  We'd like to get a handle on this before spending any money.

Thanks!
I believe that an RF connection would have some of the most latency of any connection type you could get. I was using a cellular Internet connection and the latency was predictably terrible.
I tried a ping test myself to a server in "Los Angeles". Not sure of the actual location, but I'm just under 40 miles from downtown LA, and I showed a 10ms latency.

Since there is a limited selection of servers to do the test from, all in major cities, my friend will not be able to test the latency due to the RF, but only an overall latency to LA, but that still might be instructive.
Why not just try it using the PC's own mic? Won't cost anything, you'll see the audio system latency in JKZ session view and total latency with your friend, it will tell you if it's go or no go. I've successfully tested the use of my iMac's built in mic and headphone out and there's very little latency, I assume if he has a Windows PC it should be similar. It'll at least tell you if it's worth him buying an audio interface (if that's what the spend concern is about)
Trying to understand the posters issue, but not sure I get the suggestion to use the internal mic or AI would make things better. It doesn't make sense.

While the internal latency with our hardware contributes to overall total latency, my understanding is the issue is with the ISP's wireless network. I think some G5 users are even starting to chime in about problems. Doesn't sound like they have a wired infrastructure so it's a matter of maybe hitting lower internet traffic to have a marked improvement. Hopefully tolerable for playing. I assume many ISPs, are wired and not making wireless hop, skips, and jumps.