• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quick start group session?
Would love to see a quick start group session option.  

I only play with my band and it is a pain to have to keep setting up new sessions for us to start playing.  I would love to see an option at the end of a session setup to save the session for "quick start".  This would be set up just like a normal group session so you could specify who is invited, who can join, etc.  Then you just save it in the last window.  Then when you go to the main session window you will see your "quick start" or "saved" session ready to join.  Maybe with an option to automatically re-invite the same people into the session to make it easy.  So to get into a "new" session with your band (for example) all you have to do is go to the sessions page and click on the saved session.  That's it!  Two clicks and you are playing music!

This would be problematic for recordings and sharing I assume, but if people just want to play with a set group of people and nothing else this would be a huge time saver and make everything much easier.  

---------------
An alternative (and possibly better) way to do this would be to set up a group / band.  Within the band setup would be an option to "create a band session template".  That is where you setup you basic session and save it for future use.  You then will have an option from the main session window to "start a new band session".  Then have two options:

1) "Quick start", which could simply use a date and number to differentiate the sessions.  So if you do one session today it would be named "2020-04-20_1".  If you did a second session today it would be named "2020-04-20_2".  When you select that option it would automatically invite the rest of the group / band to join the session.  

2) "Custom", which would have options for a custom session name, recording, youtube sharing, inviting additional people, or making it an open session.  I envision this as a single window with checkboxes or something.  The idea being to provide fast access to modify the session options as quickly as possible and get to the music!  No one likes dealing with menus and setup when you are trying to play music.   

This would be a huge improvement and help to make the experience faster and easier for bands, which is likely the majority of new members right now.
dja, this is a great idea! Thanks for suggesting it.
Kevin
>>>
"a pain" ?  Really??

Instead of packin' up your gear, leaving home to go to the rehearsal studios and setting everything up ...

... you grab your coffee, walk over to your computer and create a band session with a couple of mouse clicks ...

Ehmm ... Huh
One can maybe spare 15-50 seconds I figured out.

As it is now, one can be in in session with two clicks and you are playing music.

10 seconds - in sesssion - done!

And then it maybe will take maximum 50 seconds to invite 7 people.

With a little training that can maybe be done in 15 seconds (and training and some motion is always good, so to speak. I can not hurt much).

Especially if one only have those 7 people on ones friendlist.

Of course, little has its right.

But if the spared time is only 15 seconds - then I wonder ...

There can of course be some other benefits I have overlooked.

That should NOT surprise me
It isn't so much about the 15 seconds for me.  It is about ease of access. 

Think of it this way: would you rather press one button to turn on your tv and be watching it immediately, or would you be satisfied going through a series of option windows or menus and have to press 5 or 10 buttons every time you turn it on?  If you want to do something different such as watch a DVD or Apple TV, etc., then yes, you will likely have to press another button or two to get there. But if you want to use it the same way every time, it is nice to have it as fast and easy as possible.  It isn't so much that I don't have the time or can't figure out how to get through the process quickly (although that may be an issue for some people, especially the first few times).  It is more about finding ways to make it "easier for musicians to play live with each other" (if I can steal a quote from the software's creators).  Every bit helps.  Little improvements make a difference.  

Is it the most pressing need for Jamkazam?  No.  But I know it would be a benefit to many people, me being one of them.  I'm not sure why you have an issue with that.

Would you be upset if this feature were implemented, or would you like it?  Maybe it is irrelevant to your situation, but then why go through the trouble to attack me for suggesting it?

If you have the time to bash a valid suggestion in an area of a forum that is designed for exactly that, then I suggest that you are simply trolling and have more than enough time on your hands to jump through unnecessary hoops.  

I made this suggestion with the best of intentions in an effort to help others.  It doesn't feel to me like you guys are coming from the same place.
I agree, a quickstart option for the Band that you always practice with would be great.

JamKazam user,  musician and band member of Grody Riggins

Software Engineer for FlightSafety International
I completely agree. At the moment I can't seem to get the scheduling option to work and have to invite all our band member each time. For sure it's not a big task but it would certainly be a nice feature if we could have a saved session, which for us could be a recurring session each Tuesday evening when we'd normally be rehearsing in our band room. If this would also save our individual mixes so that we could get straight into rehearsal without having to set up the mix for each person it would REALLY help. Please take this as a compliment, so far my JKZ experience is fantastic and the developers are to be praised. I guess when the band profile option is also working properly would be the time to implement this if it's possible.

well done and keep the development going!

Mark
"Would you be upset if this feature were implemented, or would you like it?" !?

No, I would not at all be upset. I would actually like it.

BUT - it is NOT important for me. As I wrote.

"Maybe it is irrelevant to your situation, but then why go through the trouble to attack me for suggesting it?" !?

Yes, it is somehow irrelevant for me. But not for you, I can understand. And it is more than alright.

I do NOT attack "you".

I attack or rather comment on your point of view or text.

It is black on white - read the writing on the wall yourself

It is important not to confuse the man and the ball, the message and the messenger.

And I can distinguish very well between the man and the ball, the messenger and the message

But you might not, it seems

In conclusion, I would add that I could very well end up in a situation where such a function would be extremely convenient.

So I actually support your suggestion. Which, by the way, I have already stated
Of course, I don't need to support it to make it a reality.

It must be enough that other people have a real need.

And of course I should have made it crystal clear from the very beginning that as such I have nothing against it.

I really only consider it a matter of priority.

What is most important and so on.

After all, there is potential for all sorts of improvements.
(05-06-2020, 08:23 PM)scott@bluegrasspilots.com Wrote: Estoy de acuerdo, una opción de inicio rápido para la banda con la que siempre practicas sería genial.

Not a must but very useful. Sometimes I miss it...

Great suggestion.
Antonio.