• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphone latency
(04-21-2020, 01:01 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>
That is latency for you.
Gear and internet latency combined gives you, especially as a drummer, an offset in timing.
A 'timekeeper', as you are playing the drums, gets 'double the fun' :-( out of the latency.
First, you lay down a beat, which reaches your bandmate/peer with a little delay (latency) he/she plays his/her part to your groove, which reaches you, again with a little delay. This 'forces' you to start playing to his/her timing which in turn starts to slow everything down. The person playing to your groove however, is perfectly happy. He/she does not get anything from the return path delay (latency) you are getting.

When you, between your peers, can achieve <20ms of total latency (so audio gear & internet combined), it wil be a lot more pleasant for you as a drummer to jam online.

Hey Dimitri. Quick question. What latency should I be shooting for with my audio gear? I'm getting about 6.8ms with my AudioBox with some jitter.

I understand generically that the lower the better. I'm more curious what people who are having successful sessions are getting with their audio devices. I'm not opposed to replacing my unit if other units are getting 3-4ms AND if that's really makes a difference. I'm not sure I can get this audio device any lower.

Appreciate your posts in this forum.

Messages In This Thread
Headphone latency - by Mike mM - 04-21-2020, 04:30 AM
RE: Headphone latency - by Hans Peter Augustesen - 04-21-2020, 04:47 AM
RE: Headphone latency - by Dimitri Muskens - 04-21-2020, 01:01 PM
RE: Headphone latency - by LeeBert - 04-21-2020, 01:48 PM
RE: Headphone latency - by Dimitri Muskens - 04-21-2020, 09:04 PM
RE: Headphone latency - by Hans Peter Augustesen - 04-21-2020, 05:44 PM
RE: Headphone latency - by Hans Peter Augustesen - 04-21-2020, 09:22 PM