• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StarLink with JamKazam
(02-11-2021, 02:41 PM)lucasvilla Wrote: Hi,

Does anyone has StarLink as an Internet provider and uses JamKazam with it?  According to JamKazam, fiber optic and cable are the best for the latency. I can't get both of them to my place so I was wondering if someone could tell his or her experience with StarLink?

Thank you.

Lucas

>>>
According to Musk (I guess he would know), current bandwidth expectations are to be between 50 and 150Mbit. Current delay (latency 20-40ms)

"This year" bandwidth is supposed to double, so 300Mbit and the delay is expected to get sub 20ms. Considering the distance and tech involved this is an achievement of course but for online/realtime audio (& gaming) not good enough.
Keep in mind that the delay in both peers LAN eqpt / audio interfaces & CPU processing time are still to be added to this.

Now if the "targeted & predicted" sub 10ms would be achieved it's an whole other story.
The issues Stuart brought up are of course still in play at any speed/delay.
Plus you're still looking at a wireless connection of which the packet handling is comparable to WiFi, not as consistent and is more susceptible to interference.

There's a lot of techno babble regarding this subject to be found online. There are 'mile deep' technological explanations for the differences en poss/mins of one compared to the other. (wireless vs wired) Where we stand at this point in time I would hesitate to invest in anything wireless for online realtime audio/video/gaming. But things evolve pretty fast, who knows?

Messages In This Thread
StarLink with JamKazam - by lucasvilla - 02-11-2021, 02:41 PM
RE: StarLink with JamKazam - by Zlartibartfast - 02-11-2021, 03:50 PM
RE: StarLink with JamKazam - by StuartR - 02-19-2021, 01:59 PM
RE: StarLink with JamKazam - by Dimitri Muskens - 02-23-2021, 08:46 AM
RE: StarLink with JamKazam - by StuartR - 02-23-2021, 02:14 PM
RE: StarLink with JamKazam - by Zlartibartfast - 02-23-2021, 05:38 PM