• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any microwave broadband versus fibre issues?
I suggest you each run an Internet test to measure latency and it's variation over short intervals of time (this is jitter, as shown on the graph). https://testmy.net/ has been recommended on this forum. Even though the service provider' claims of better service than fiber competitors,, there are few consumer use cases beyond what JamKazam is attempting to do that require very low latency. I would imagine if you called them up and said, "I require sub-20ms latency", they would tell you to look elsewhere. Even in our current world of Zoom/Skype/Google Meet video conferencing, we are all tolerating >100ms of latency, with freezes and stutters. Since these services are not "full duplex" (a telephony terms meaning simultaneous transmit and receive), we subconsciously just deal with it. I had a single person Facebook Messenger audio-only call with someone only a couple hundred miles away the other day, both of us wifi'ed to our high-speed internet with no other traffic, and it felt like I was talking to someone on the moon. The delay was almost a whole second, and we kept speaking over each other as a result.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any microwave broadband versus fibre issues? - by blandis - 11-19-2020, 05:10 PM