• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot get low latency with USB audio gear
Yes, I did reduce buffer sizes. No luck yet.

I bought a new PC (it was about time): tenth generation i7, 2.6 Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD.....(and, yes, Ethernet), changed setting as prescribed in Glitch Free, ran Latencymon and passed with flying colors (green). Never happened before on the old PC.

I did a JK Add Gear for USB Audio Codec for my audio device to make sure something worked and go 20 ms latency as always.

I installed asio4all on the pc. Then an Add Gear for it. A 10 ms frame size resulted in 20ms latency again, 5 ms frame in 10ms and 2.5 in 5ms. IO jitters was problematic for the smaller frames. The sound was good with the 10ms frame, but not the lower settings (constant noise, pops, clicks). JK notifications appeared on the PC display with a session setup for the smaller frame sizes stating that there were audio problems with the gear.

I also installed the Reaper DAW with Rearoute, used Asio4all as its driver and did add Gear for Rearoute. I reduced the buffer size, this time using the Asio4all panel embedded in Reaper, instead of Manage/Audio Settings/Audio Booster, starting with the default 256 sample ASIO buffer size, down to 64 sample. 256 resulted in 18 ms latency and 64 in 4.4. The IO jitter here too was a problem for the smaller buffers, but not the 256.

IO jitter with smaller buffers appears to be a problem with asio4all and jamkazam. I found this conclusion in another thread on the forum.

I am hopeful that I will be able to reduce latency with an audio device that has its own ASIO driver. I believe Focusrite and MOTU have ASIO drivers. Probably Steinberg too.

Can you recommend one?
Thanks

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cannot get low latency with USB audio gear - by Steven Minzer - 07-14-2020, 03:37 PM