• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compatibility with DS-lite
Hello,

Me and my friends cannot connect using Jamkazam because probably all of our internet connections are DS-lite. I read that Jamkazam doesn't work with DS-lite at all.
While one can try to convince the internet provider to give you a full DS connection (in some cases with additional monthly cost), I wonder if there is no way to avoid this issue within Jamkazam. As many will face this issue in the beginning this could really lower the barrier to entry for many potential users.

I am by no means an expert with network technology. Is it even possible to change the Jamkazam architecture or software in a way that in some mode doesn't use ipv4 at all or is somehow compatible with DS-lite?

If possible, how are the chances that such a feature would be implemented any time soon?
I had read that in the future ipv4 will only be available to the business world.
If the providers switch to DS-Lite, whereby only ipv6 is available then we have no public ipv4.
Reason: ipv4 addresses have become scarce and are therefore only accessible to the business world.
That means:
No one, or only a few, will be able to play music via JamKazam, since the lack of public ipv4 (DS-Lite only uses ipv6)
means that audio can no longer be transmitted to the routers via ports 12000-12010.
Maybe JamKazam has a future solution over ipv6?
My guitarist and I still have ipv4, but we can't make music with our drummer since he now has DS-Lite with ipv6. (Vodafone)
Too bad.
(05-23-2020, 06:09 AM)Chatmax Wrote: I had read that in the future ipv4 will only be available to the business world.
If the providers switch to DS-Lite, whereby only ipv6 is available then we have no public ipv4.
Reason: ipv4 addresses have become scarce and are therefore only accessible to the business world.
That means:
No one, or only a few, will be able to play music via JamKazam, since the lack of public ipv4 (DS-Lite only uses ipv6)
means that audio can no longer be transmitted to the routers via ports 12000-12010.
My guitarist and I still have ipv4, but we can't make music with our drummer since he now has DS-Lite with ipv6. (Vodafone)
Too bad.
>>>
There's a post on these pages describing this very issue.
That user contacted his ISP and had his DS-Lite tunnel switched off going back to IPv4 only.
"took only minutes and was free of charge" - he reported.
Maybe your drummer can do the same?

(05-23-2020, 09:33 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 06:09 AM)Chatmax Wrote: I had read that in the future ipv4 will only be available to the business world.
That means:
Too bad.
>>>
There's a post on these pages describing this very issue.
That user contacted his ISP and had his DS-Lite tunnel switched off going back to IPv4 only.
"took only minutes and was free of charge" - he reported.
Maybe your drummer can do the same?

>>>
Found it:

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.ph...light=IPv6
Hi, Dimitri Muskens
Correct.
Our drummer called Vodafone earlier.
Vodafone (ISP) knew the problem and activated it for ipv4.
The Vodafone cable router (TG344DE) has switched off. - Internet was gone.
Then the router restarted and the firmware was updated.
It was only a matter of a few minutes!
The entry "Port Forwarding" was now visible.
We have assigned a fixed IP to his laptop via "AnyDesk" (similar to "Teamviewer") and entered this in the router.
We have entered UDP 12000-12010 under "Port Forwarding".
Hooray, "JamKazam" works with good latency. (Everything green).
To everyone:
Contact your ISP so that you can be activated for ipv4.

Greeting
Chatmax
(05-23-2020, 01:06 PM)Chatmax Wrote: Hi, Dimitri Muskens
Correct.
Our drummer called Vodafone earlier.
Vodafone (ISP) knew the problem and activated it for ipv4.
The Vodafone cable router (TG344DE) has switched off. - Internet was gone.
Then the router restarted and the firmware was updated.
It was only a matter of a few minutes!
The entry "Port Forwarding" was now visible.
We have assigned a fixed IP to his laptop via "AnyDesk" (similar to "Teamviewer") and entered this in the router.
We have entered UDP 12000-12010 under "Port Forwarding".
Hooray, "JamKazam" works with good latency. (Everything green).
To everyone:
Contact your ISP so that you can be activated for ipv4.

Greeting
Chatmax
>>>
That's good to hear!
Enjoy!
D./