• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etiquette for Joining sessions ?
Is there any accepted etiquette, published or otherwise for joining sessions ?
We (myself and a drummer friend) are new to JamKazam and we set up a session for just the two of us yesterday and forgot to make it private.  While we we were getting started someone just joined and started playing their guitar over us, just playing their own thing, with no voice channel so although we tried to talk to them we got no reply.  In the end we had to cancel the session and start a new one and then lost a lot of time due to connection issues.  This behaviour was, to my mind incredibly rude and selfish so I was wondering what the view of other people on here is ?
In such cases then consider to kick them out.

If people persist to not respond to charges

Use Ctrl + k. That opens Session Control Panel, "Block" it is called.

Only the so called "mix controller" can kick people out.

That is initially the person who started the session.

It is not a shame to go if you are thrown out.

LOL

In short:

There is NO "accepted etiquette, published or otherwise for joining sessions".

At least not as far as I know.

But it has been called for sometimes. In GLOBAL CHAT in the app

And of course - when you mistakenly have started a open session - change the settings in "Session properties" .

Change it from "may join at will" to "may join by approval" for example
Here is what I sometimes write in the session description:

"semi OPEN SESSION

People with bad internet connection (Wireless, Wi-Fi; crackling, sound breaking up und so weiter) may not be allowed to stay.

If I regard a connection too crappy I will kick the person out - maybe without further notice.

People with too high latency in relation to me may also be kicked out in the same maner.

The same for people that dont respond to charges"
Generally, I like to pop in sessions and play with, or meet new people. The listen function doesn’t work, so if the session is open you may see me stop by for a visit.  I’ll pop in with a mic that’s working... and headphones. I’ll listen to what’s happening, and sometimes that’s for almost a whole song or jam.  I try to have my bass strings muted and show up quietly. Also, I try to have my gear setup up as well as possible.

Then, I’ll try to introduce myself when there is downtime.  If I hear music that I can’t hang with then I bounce., and that might be without playing a note.

If I see a Session that is already over 4 or 5 pieces, I’ll usually skip it.

If I see a bass player already in the session, then I’ll skip it as well. Sometimes you can’t tell, until you join the session. I’ll use the chat feature then and try not to step on any toes.

Lots of users don’t have there bios updated, and latency unknown is very common.  Often, I have no idea what instrument they are playing, what genre, or a location.

So, you kind of need to peek in to see what’s happening.  If people are reading this then please update your info... It really helps.

It is a bummer when someone crashes a session and you’ve got a good groove going on. . I’ve experienced it a few times and it’s like WTF.  Another bass came in one day just chugging eighth notes with no sense of what was being played. Not very cool.

And, if you are  looking for an Intermediate bass player hit me up. I’m game to groove thru some chord progressions playing roots, octaves, triads.

My handle is the same on the forum, and in the app. I’m in rural Colorado.

My 2 cents. I promise to be polite if you see me bouncing around sessions.

Peace.
I have made a little story - for serious fun.

Joining a random session:

- Hello, people! Can you hear me? I am in Denmark

- You, Mozart are in ...? Uh, let me guess by the latency.

- Wow, you must be in Germany, in the north. Only 25 milliseconds latency between you and me. Near Copenhagen.

Mozart: Yes, I am in Rövershagen, near Rostock.

ABBA: - I am in Sweden.

- Very good, ABBA and Mozart. - Ow, we have one bad connection here, Wi-Fi. That is you, Paganini.
Dont use Wi-Fi, only cable. Can you hear me? But the crackling is not coming from you, now.

- Where is then all that crackling coming from? Uh, there is something total wrong with your connection, Stravinski.
That is maybe why!? Can you hear me? I can only hear nasty crackling.

- Uh, can you all hear Elvis? I can not hear him. No audio, it says - and he is grayed out. Bad! All hands on deck, Elvis`s sound is away. Save him! Save us! Press on RESYNC button now. Dammit, he is still NO AUDIO. Argh! Uh, now Elvis has left the building.

- Where are you located, Pythagoras?

Pythagoras: I am in Greece, 82 billions ms away in the past.
I am by the way trying to figure out something very important about sound. 1, 1/2, 1/3 und so weiter. Wait a sec !
---
It fits somehow with the real history (hm! - that I am trying to obtain).

Quick actions is the key - and straightforwardness.

ALL technical difficulties must be straightened out, as quickly as possible.

And technical problems are plenty

Good advice, Moose Hofer
Thank you everyone for your replies.  I didn’t know that you could update the settings for a session once it has started so thank you for that advice.  I think for me it is an issue of general consideration of other people.  I wouldn’t walk in to a room where two people were having a conversation and just start to talk over them about something completely different, which is effectively what this person did.  The two of us are still getting used to JamKazam and we are still at a fairly basic level in terms of playing together and having someone barge in like that was not nice.
Hi, Cavery1962! Me and my bandmates also ran into this issue as we started out with JamKazam.

After a few of these occurrences, and some experimenting, here's what we do now when we want to have a "private" session (our band only, RSVP only, no one else not invited may join):

(NOTE: You can also find this content in the document "A Guide to Online Jamming with JamKazam" here, authored by a few folks in the forums.
___
If you desire to have a “private” session, for example, you and your band rehearsing, there are 2 options that will help you do this. Click the Sessions square in the application, then click the “Start or Schedule” button.

On “Step 3: Who is Playing With You, under “Who do you want to invite?” the “Plus any interested JamKazam musicians that I approve” check box is checked by default, so you’ll need to uncheck it if you don’t want to allow others to join. 

[Image: vXBi1LJdJr_GtJUJfy1L1-Oh89yajc_S-Joy01aB...o2Z22ne6ti]

On “Step 4: What Are Your Policies?”, the “How will you handle musician access?” drop down defaults to “Musicians may join at will”, so if you don’t want to allow that, you can choose another option. “Only RSVP musicians may join” worked well for a private, invited band members only session.

[Image: LFc2DdNIu-z_tH_Rc8ihsXA9PoIbaa5C_dvFVs9u...CP0NmWqpmO]

Of course, we do things differently when we are looking for a jam to join. I love the idea of having some etiquette around this, and thanks, Moose and Hans, for these great ideas.

Hope this helps!
Kevin
(05-02-2020, 11:44 AM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: In such cases then consider to kick them out.

If people persist to not respond to charges

Use Ctrl + k. That opens Session Control Panel, "Block" it is called.

Only the so called "mix controller" can kick people out.

That is initially the person who started the session.

It is not a shame to go if you are thrown out.

LOL

In short:

There is NO "accepted etiquette, published or otherwise for joining sessions".

At least not as far as I know.

But it has been called for sometimes. In GLOBAL CHAT in the app

And of course - when you mistakenly have started a open session - change the settings in "Session properties" .

Change it from "may join at will" to "may join by approval" for example

Ctrl + K doesn't seem to do anything.  Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?
Then find it in Manage menu