• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could not initialize PortAudio library: Internal PortAudio error
I just installed JK for the first time and am getting this error.  I'm on updated win10 pro, using RME Digiface ASIO into RME PCI card (feeding it over lightpipe from Presonus Digimax and Focusrite Octopre).   And FYI Jamulus sees the RME ASIO drivers fine, as does everything else on my computer including my DAW.

The full text of the error is "An audio driver is preventing JamKazam from processing audio.  Please move any USB-connected audio gear to a different USB port, or reinstall any drivers for your audio gear.  When done, restart the JamKazam application.  
(Could not initialize PortAudio library: Internal PortAudio error)"

I don't have any USB connected audio gear, BTW. Oh, maybe except for a bluetooth USB stick.  Ok, removing that didn't help. (But I do believe there are upgraded drivers available.)  Then I hit OK and the whole app closes (but each attempt leaves a ghost icon in my toolbar until I hover over it).

Other than assuring the most recent asio RME Digiface drivers do you have any suggestions?  I'm not sure what PortAudio library is that is failing to initialize.
-Thanks
If it all works in your DAW, have you considered using some sort of audio routing software to send audio back and forth between your DAW and JK? I do it like this guy: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=158500
(04-24-2020, 03:10 PM)marhdeth Wrote: If it all works in your DAW, have you considered using some sort of audio routing software to send audio back and forth between your DAW and JK? I do it like this guy: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=158500
Thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried VB-Audio virtual cables and their asio bridge.  However, my problem is JK crashes upon starting up.  None of my other software has any issue with seeing my audio drivers so there isn't much motivation or requirement to use them. In fact, I uninstalled them just in case they were the issue with JK (they weren't). I need to get JK to launch without cra$ng before I can do anything as I cannot even get to the gear setup.

FYI, I tried uninstalling JK and reinstalling after a fresh reboot... same problem. It always produces that error on launch, then closes. I have never been able to get to the setup stuff or anything else in JK.
I see, I did not realize it was a crash error preventing you from using it at all.  I see a few people having a very similar issue in this thread.. https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=23 The only way they've been able to get into JK is by shutting off their interfaces before opening. They also were using a Presonus interface, if that is somehow related. I don't know if you could somehow use that info - shut down the interface, get in, adjust some settings, and then be able to use it somehow? Not sure, just thought I'd pass that along though, you're not the only one.
(04-24-2020, 06:57 AM)douglasfindley@gmail.com Wrote: I just installed JK for the first time and am getting this error.  I'm on updated win10 pro, using RME Digiface ASIO into RME PCI card (feeding it over lightpipe from Presonus Digimax and Focusrite Octopre).   And FYI Jamulus sees the RME ASIO drivers fine, as does everything else on my computer including my DAW.

The full text of the error is "An audio driver is preventing JamKazam from processing audio.  Please move any USB-connected audio gear to a different USB port, or reinstall any drivers for your audio gear.  When done, restart the JamKazam application.  
(Could not initialize PortAudio library: Internal PortAudio error)"

I don't have any USB connected audio gear, BTW. Oh, maybe except for a bluetooth USB stick.  Ok, removing that didn't help. (But I do believe there are upgraded drivers available.)  Then I hit OK and the whole app closes (but each attempt leaves a ghost icon in my toolbar until I hover over it).

Other than assuring the most recent asio RME Digiface drivers do you have any suggestions?  I'm not sure what PortAudio library is that is failing to initialize.
-Thanks
Do you have Windows set up to process the audio in "exclusive mode"? It is necessary with windows if the Exclusive mode is on to make sure another audio interface even the PC's built-in audio drivers didn't take control. If the exclusive mode is turned off then windows allow's more audio sources to be connected or mixed at the same time. If you type "sound" in search you can find many of the windows sound settings. I'm guessing you probably know this though. Just a bit down the page for you see "sound control panel" and for each "recording and playback devices advance tabs" you have "allow applications to take exclusive mode priority" and "give exclusive mode priority". 

Have you tried Asio 4 all drivers? 

Install Cpuid "Cpuz" find your Mainboard "motherboard" name and look up to see if you have all the current drivers for the motherboard from the manufacturer.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried going into the sound settings / sound control panel and unchecked both "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" for each entry, which were both checked for my RME ASIO drivers.  Reboot, but no change.  Still the PortAudio Library initialization failure error, then it closes.  I did verify my current DAW project wasn't affected.

I am not sure what you mean by all 4 ASIO drivers.  I am using the ones exclusively for my RME Digiface and PCI card.   The presonus and focusrite only feed into the digiface via lightpipe, so they don't have drivers.  I haven't tried anything like ASIO4All.  I'm a bit reluctant to make too many major changes to my system right now because I'm nearing the end of a mixing project and don't feel comfortable taking chances at the moment.  I may have to wait until this is finished. There are upgraded ASIO drivers from RME I could install, and I may even wait on that until the project is done.  The cpuid MB drivers is a good idea too, but I also may wait on that one.  I managed to Jam for an afternoon yesterday using Jamulus which worked fine, just not as featured as JK.

Also I'll check out that crash link about shutting down your audio device first launch.  

I think I saw there was a new JK client.  If so I'll download and try that too.  Otherwise, I may just have to wait until I can be more invasive in my troubleshooting.  I really appreciate all the suggestions.  Jam on!
This problem has been solved with a full uninstall then upgrade of the latest audio interface drivers for my RME Digiface / HDSP PCI. I haven't confirmed more than the error is gone yet, but I am very glad to move past that! Thanks for all your help. RME Hammerfall DSP 4.30 (dated 02/07/2020)