• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
audio issues since last update of JamKazam Mac client - looking for help
Question 
My band had just been starting to successfully use JamKazam for our rehearsals when last Thursday’s update of the Mac client (1.20 - 1.0.3657) unfortunately broke the whole thing for us.

Since that update the audio stream during the sessions is being constantly chopped up for every participant while at the same time the app pops out a constant stream of alert notifications every 0.5 seconds or so: “network packet send error - attempting recovery. try rejoining the session”.

The “resync” button stops the audio chopping for a few seconds but then it starts all over…

The same thing happens to me we I try to jam with other people outside of my band - but  they still seem to hear each other.

We are desperately looking for a solution and hope someone can help:

• Does anyone else experience the same issues?
  • Has anyone found a solution?
  • Does anyone know what has been changed with the last update?

Dear devs, could you eventually revert back to the previous version of the client where everything was running just fine?

Any help highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

(Hardware involved: 4 different Macs with different OSX installed.)
Aditional info:

Since the update I also get "Receiving Problem" error messages from time to time (see attachement).
Interestingwise when I click <Yes> the chopping of audio stops while the email host loads.

Any advise very welcome. Thank you guys.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

>>>
This error appears - mostly - when there is something wrong at your peers side. Not at yours.

When you click 'no', your email program won't start loading thus not giving you the extra system load you can do without while working with any audio.
(04-21-2020, 10:36 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>
This error appears - mostly - when there is something wrong at your peers side. Not at yours.

When you click 'no', your email program won't start loading thus not giving you the extra system load you can do without while working with any audio.

Thank you for your reply. I suppose it is related to my second post?

Please bear in mind, that the second post is related to the first. I would like to clarify what happens as it doesn't make any sense to my:
  • I am in a session and start getting the constant flow of error notifications which chops up the audio
  • sometimes the attached error window appears.
  • when I click <YES> the email client starts in the background and at the same time the flow of error notifications im JamKazam stops
  • AND from that moment on, despite the extra system load, I am able to hear all the session members perfectly and also to play along with no latency
  • BUT when I close the window the flow error notifications is back and the audio broken again
This observation leads me to believe, that the chopping of the audio signal is caused by the flow error notifications (sometimes up to 1000 in a minute). And these notificatios only started appearing after the last update of the JamKazam client...

I deeply whish I could revert back to the client version before the update.
(04-21-2020, 11:25 AM)Giancarlo Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 10:36 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>

Thank you for your reply. I suppose it is related to my second post?

Please bear in mind, that the second post is related to the first. I would like to clarify what happens as it doesn't make any sense to my:
  • I am in a session and start getting the constant flow of error notifications which chops up the audio
  • sometimes the attached error window appears.
  • when I click <YES> the email client starts in the background and at the same time the flow of error notifications im JamKazam stops
  • AND from that moment on, despite the extra system load, I am able to hear all the session members perfectly and also to play along with no latency
  • BUT when I close the window the flow error notifications is back and the audio broken again
This observation leads me to believe, that the chopping of the audio signal is caused by the flow error notifications (sometimes up to 1000 in a minute). And these notificatios only started appearing after the last update of the JamKazam client...

I deeply whish I could revert back to the client version before the update.

>>>
If it occurs again, do please click 'no' for the email notification and click 'resync' in the session window.

I am very interested in the 'error notifications' (1000/min??!) you are getting. Are they jkz messages or is your OS 'complaining' about something? Could you attach said message(s)?
(04-21-2020, 11:33 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: I am very interested in the 'error notifications' (1000/min??!) you are getting. Are they jkz messages or is your OS 'complaining' about something? Could you attach said message(s)?
 Dimitri, they are jkz messages: “network packet send error - attempting recovery. try rejoining the session”.

When I hit "resync" the flow of messages stops for a short while and I can hear everything in the session well. Depending on the session this interval lasts for 2 seconds to a couple of minutes before the message-flow restarts and the audio is chopped again.

I have been using JKZ for about four weeks now and never experienced this issue untill the last update of the jkz client.
>>>
Giancarlo, just making sure here, do you have your WiFi turned OFF on the machine you're using? Does your machine have only one IP-address on your LAN?

Did you try to use fixed UDP ports for jkz? Did you try a fixed portrange forwarded to the wired IP of the machine you are using?
I do assume UPnP is activated in your router? Firewalls turned off or at least granted I/O for jkz?

I'm running latest (ofcourse  Wink ) jkz on latest Catalina MBP and do not recognise these issues at all.

At last resort, did you try a 'fresh' reinstall? (so, also remove the jkz folder under your username in OSX)
Thank you, Dimitri.
I'll check those configurations to make shure I have the correct answers and get back.
Would the JamKazamSupport_i.log file of such a "bad session" be of any help?
(04-21-2020, 12:47 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>
Thank you Dimitri. Answers, as far as I can undersand the question, in Blue.
I am not very proficient in theses things.

Giancarlo, just making sure here, do you have your WiFi turned OFF on the machine you're using?
YES

Does your machine have only one IP-address on your LAN?
What do you mean by "one" IP-address?
The OS IPv4 setting is <DHCP>. Should I change this to <DHCP with manual address>?

Did you try to use fixed UDP ports for jkz?
Yes. In the router settings I have set a port clearence for jkz for the machine I am using.

Did you try a fixed portrange forwarded to the wired IP of the machine you are using?
Yes. In the port clearance I have set a fixed portrange of 12021 - 12041. The router has auto-filled a IPv4-address of 46.22.17.188 for jkz.

I do assume UPnP is activated in your router?
Yes.

Firewalls turned off or at least granted I/O for jkz?
Yes.

I'm running latest (ofcourse  Wink ) jkz on latest Catalina MBP and do not recognise these issues at all.
I am running OSX 10.8.5 on late 2009 MBP.

At last resort, did you try a 'fresh' reinstall? (so, also remove the jkz folder under your username in OSX)
Not yet. I guess I would have to delete also the .ini?
I have a brand new Mac, running Catalina with an Apollo interface. One gig on my Fios service. Jamkazam was awesome up until Saturday night. Ever since then all I get is Network Packet loss errors. You can actually watch the log in the console. Us Mac users are at a loss at the moment until they do something for us. I tailored my router to open up the ports they suggested. I was thinking it was my internet but it’s not as I’ve run every test on my network side and that’s all good.