• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamkazam app crashes on startup
I have been having the same problem on a MacBook Pro running High Sierra.

With the help of my 15yo, we discovered a solution.
- Create a new user
- Make that user an Admin
- Install the app using this new user

Unfortunately, it seems JK will only run under this new user. But it runs.

Incidentally, I was able to install and run this program with no issues on a MacBook Pro running Mojave. That's a newer MBP without ethernet, no bueno. I'm pretty sure it worked on this MBP because JK had never been installed on it. Which is probably the same reason it will only run under a new user. Hopefully this is a bug the devs can squash.
new to jamkazam and wanting to give it a try but after signing up > downloading the app it crashed immediately after start up. i've read this thread but other than creating a new user and making that user an admin, i am still not seeing a resolve. 

here are my specs.
MacOS High Sierra 10.130.6
Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

i tried changing the sound preferences to use the Mac interal mic and output but still no luck. can't even launch the app to change any preferences.

its strange as it doesn't ask me where to install the software (drive) and all the usual things when installing an app so i feel like it wasn't fully downloaded or installed correctly even though it says it was finished.
(05-09-2020, 01:23 AM)ekuryluk Wrote: I have been having the same problem on a MacBook Pro running High Sierra.

With the help of my 15yo, we discovered a solution.
- Create a new user
- Make that user an Admin
- Install the app using this new user

Unfortunately, it seems JK will only run under this new user. But it runs.

Incidentally, I was able to install and run this program with no issues on a MacBook Pro running Mojave. That's a newer MBP without ethernet, no bueno. I'm pretty sure it worked on this MBP because JK had never been installed on it. Which is probably the same reason it will only run under a new user. Hopefully this is a bug the devs can squash.

I tried the same procedure on an iMac (2013), 16GB RAM running the latest OS (Catalina)....and it works. So, there's some difference with a new, 'clean' account that allows the program to launch and run. Developers......are you listening?
Same issue here... I was using Sierra and it crashed on startup, now updated to mojave and the problem is the same.
>>>
I'll just keep repeating myself: please use the search function on this forum ... .

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=767

D./
(05-11-2020, 02:33 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>
I'll just keep repeating myself: please use the search function on this forum ... .

D./

I looked both places - no Facebook or fb plug-in....still crashes, unless I load the new user with no old config info. I also removed any OLD plug-ins (that hadn't been updated for years). Same issue.
(05-11-2020, 03:25 PM)taylorgtr Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 02:33 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>

D./

I looked both places - no Facebook or fb plug-in....still crashes, unless I load the new user with no old config info. I also removed any OLD plug-ins (that hadn't been updated for years). Same issue.
>>>
If you can make it work under a 'new' user account on the same machine, you can also make it work under your current/old account by  - completely - removing the app/program and its files. &Reinstall. If you don't know how to do this, there are walkthroughs and/or apps/programs online that explain/do this.

NB - the workings of computers and OS'es are really beyond the scope of this forum.
Hi, I had this exact issue and I finally managed to speak to someone at JamKazam who looked at my error report and said that there is a known issue with a facebook plug in that causes this.

I got rid of it by doing the following:

Open Finder
Hold down the Option key and select the Go menu - You should see a "Library" option if you have the option key held down
Click this and open the Library
Find the folder called "Internet Plug-Ins"
Look for a file with "fb" in it's name.  I don't know if its always the same but mine was called "fbplugins_1_0_1.plugin"
Delete it.

JamKazam should now open OK - It did for me anyway.

Hope that helps
On my iMAC running Mohave, JamKazam crashed every time on launch since the mid-April update.  I tried starting in SAFE Mode, using app cleaner to completely remove and reinstall.  I tried boot with another USER for the mac, I tried running disk first aid, I tried installing by both Firefox and Safari, I tried disabling the Firefox add-ins.  None of this worked.  When I re-read the CRASH Log created when JAMKAZAM crashes, I found what appeared to be the culprit, an internet plugin different from FB one mentioned above which was not on my system anyhow.  Found this plugin and used app cleaner to delete it:
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/npwViewer_turn.plugin/
It seems this was a plugin that was installed on the prior iMAC (prior to activating the 2012 iMAC in 4/2019).  That plugin is used by my external Webcam in SAFARI to operate the Webcam.  This plug-in was never explicitly installed after 2012 iMAC activation, but it remained on the hard drive when the contents of old iMac was transferred to newer iMac.
JAMKAZAM now works!!
(05-11-2020, 02:33 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>

D./
Hi Dimitri,
JK has just started to crash on loading. I've read all posts and now tried your suggestion but no luck. In your instructions: part a) FB pluggin not found and:  part b) this returned the message "no such file". This crash has happened since the last update about four days ago. I noticed that every time I started JK it said there was an update! I don't think it was installing even though it appeared to. I was running JK Build 1.20 "1.0.3682 (This loaded ok)
(The update) 1.20 "1.0.3685". crashes and will not load.
MBP 2011>High Sierra 10.13.6>Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5>Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Must be a bug somewhere Undecided Thanks for any help.